1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the paper's speed relative to the ground?

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    The paper delivery boy tries to throw the paper into your narrow driveway without slowing down. His pickup truck travels at 5.00 mph, and he throws the paper at 16.0 mph just as the truck passes the driveway.

in what direction should he throw the paper in order for it to land in the driveway?

What is the paper's speed relative to the ground?

i know the vertical velocity is 16 and the horizontal is 5, but im not sure how to relate them and find the angle.

and the papers speed relative to the ground is that simply 2v?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2
    Don't think of vertical and horizontal here. Think about east-west and north-south.

The East-west axis is the street and the north-south axis is the driveway. The truck is traveling along the east-west axis and the paper's is along the north-south axis.

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    use vecters for this one

you have the vector [5,0] for the truck and [16,@] for the paper and you want the paper to land at [x,y].

5. Aug 11, 2005 #4
    do u mean [5,0] and [0,16]

because i used vectors and i got the angle of 72.6 deg. and that was wrong

6. Aug 11, 2005 #5
    Your angle is with respect to the wrong axis then. Hes going to throw it almost straight horizontal with some slight compensation in the south direction.

7. Aug 11, 2005 #6
    no the vectors are in polar coordinates

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?