1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the point of a MUX

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1

RMZ

I don't understand what the point of a multiplexer is. I see the purpose of a selector circuit and a decoder, as an appropriate address will cause a unique gate to output a logic high, but I don't see the point of "OR"ing them together to get a single one or zero at the end. Please help

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

A mux simply allows you to do a controlled select of one of several signals.

Suppose for example that you have a recording device but only one path to it (very common in, for example, tape or disk data recording). A mux allows you to record each of numerous signals, sampled one at a time, and then repeat that sequence over and over. Thus you will hear the phrase "time division multiplexor".

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3

RMZ

So does that mean that in:
    (D1 and D2 mean AND gate1 and 2, while d1 and d2 mean AND gate 1 and 2 in the decoder.)
    A--------D1---OR
    B--------D2---the same OR
    d1-----D1
    d2-----D2

if I input an address that will "enable" D2 to change the OR gate's output, as I pulse a logic high/low through B the MUX will mimic the output of D2?

5. Oct 1, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I have no idea what you are talking about. Draw a box with 4 inputs and one output. Label the inputs A, B, C, D and label the output A OR B OR C OR D (but NOT logically ORed together, just selected as one of the four)

Of course, you also have to have 2 control line inputs to tell the mux which of the 4 inputs to pick for the output.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted