Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the point?

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they spend too much time there like that I think a lot of the protestors will fail to see the point as well.

On a serious note, I think this awareness stunt isn't going to achieve what they hope it will. Most people are aware of the global warming issue (I was going to say unless you've been living in a cave, but recent events have proved that to be false) and this really won't inspire people to change their ways.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    You know, at first I didn't believe in Global Warming. Now, though, after hundreds of people stripped naked on a glacier I can't help but see the error of my ways.

5. Sep 16, 2007 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I had the same thought. :rofl:

Well - it was probably enjoyable for those who wanted to get naked in a crowd on a glacier.

All that body heat probably melted increased the melting rate. :biggrin:

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Well, it's hard to get extensive press coverage by meeting on a glacier with a bunch of other people. If you tell the press that everybody's going to be naked, though, you're at least guaranteed some camera-wielders, even if the shots don't make the papers.

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6

wolram

Gold Member

They are trying to stress a point, a point that modern science is hard pressed to prove,
    they maybe right or wrong, but to my honest oppinion , modern day science is not able to solve this issue.

8. Sep 16, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean to prove that warming is real, or to identify the magnitude of the threat, or do you mean the ability to solve the problem?

9. Sep 16, 2007 #8
    I've often wondered why there are streaks up and down glaciers

10. Sep 16, 2007 #9
    Well, they certainly are helping to shake off the image that people concerned about global warming are insane hippies.

11. Sep 17, 2007 #10
    For some people debate and argument is in their blood. Maybe they just enjoy protesting stuff and this was the best way they could think of to chill out.

12. Sep 17, 2007 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those streaks are formed by lateral, medial and terminal morons. :wink:

13. Sep 17, 2007 #12
    ahhh--so that's why it was posted on youtube!!! (now it makes more scents!!)

14. Sep 17, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...or Swiss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?