1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Is The Probability Of Picking A 3 Digit Number Divisible By 7

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    What Is The Probability Of Picking A 3 Digit Number Divisible By 7

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    I'd start by thinking how many possibilities there are, so how many 3 digit integers (whole numbers) are there?

Then i'd consider how many numbers in this range are divisable by 7, a simpler example which may help you get started would be how many numbers from 1 to 70 are divisable by 7 the answer is just 70/7 = 10.

Once you've found out how many numbers between the range are divisable by 7, find out what percentage is this amount to the original range?

I hope this helps (and i hope it's right :tongue2: )

4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    Mathelord,

I assume you are looking for whole number answers. Bear with my blue collar logic as I may have your answer. There are 900 possible 3 digit whole numbers. As they are consecutive, simply divide 900 by 7.

I believe your answer is 128/900 or 14.222%

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?