Calculating Probability: \binom{8}{2} \binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}

• Thread starter DottZakapa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability that Alfred and John share the room at the 7th floor is 1/28. This is determined by evaluating the number of ways to choose 2 people from a group of 8, and considering the probability of choosing the 7th floor as 1/4. Another approach is to fix Alfred and John on the 7th floor and determine the number of ways to put the other 6 people into the remaining 3 rooms, then dividing by the total number of ways to put all 8 people into 4 rooms. The final result is 1/28.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Eight friends check in together at the reception of an hotel. There are 4 double rooms available, one at the 1st, one at the 2nd, one at the 3rd and one at the 7th floor.
If any possible assignment is equally likely, which is the probability that Alfred and John share the room at the 7th floor?
Relevant Equations
probability
My reasoning is :
first i evaluate in how many manners i can choose 2 guys from the group of 8.
##\binom{8}{2} \binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}##

then i consider the probability of choosing the seventh floor is 1/4.
But now I don't now how to proceed, supposing up to here i am correct. any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: Eight friends check in together at the reception of an hotel. There are 4 double rooms available, one at the 1st, one at the 2nd, one at the 3rd and one at the 7th floor.
If any possible assignment is equally likely, which is the probability that Alfred and John share the room at the 7th floor?
Relevant Equations:: probability

My reasoning is :
first i evaluate in how many manners i can choose 2 guys from the group of 8.
##\binom{8}{2} \binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}##

then i consider the probability of choosing the seventh floor is 1/4.
But now I don't now how to proceed, supposing up to here i am correct. any help?
What's the probability that Alfred is on the seventh floor?

Another approach would be to fix Alfred and John on the 7th floor, and determine the number of ways to put the other 6 people into the 3 remaining rooms. Then you can divide by the number of ways to put all 8 people into the 4 rooms.

etotheipi said:
Another approach would be to fix Alfred and John on the 7th floor, and determine the number of ways to put the other 6 people into the 3 remaining rooms. Then you can divide by the number of ways to put all 8 people into the 4 rooms.
The number of ways to put the other 6 people into the 3 remaining rooms:

## \binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}##
so
##\frac {\binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}} {\binom{8}{2} \binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}}##

that is:

##\frac {1}{\binom{8}{2}}## = ##\frac {1}{28}##

but could you explain why?

DottZakapa said:
but could you explain why?

You mean explain why that's the right answer?

PeroK said:
You mean explain why that's the right answer?
yes please

DottZakapa said:
yes please
The counting idea is:

a) You count all the different ways to do something: ##N##.

b) You count all the ways to do something that meet your criteria: ##n##.

Then, assuming all these ways are equally likely, the probability your criteria are met is ##\frac n N##.

Likes etotheipi
a ok. thanks

1. What does the expression "Calculating Probability: \binom{8}{2} \binom{6}{2} \binom{4}{2}\binom{2}{2}" mean?

The expression is a way to calculate the probability of selecting a certain number of items from a larger set. The numbers inside the binomial coefficients represent the number of items to be selected from each set. In this case, it means selecting 2 items from a set of 8, 2 items from a set of 6, 2 items from a set of 4, and 2 items from a set of 2.

2. How do you use the expression to calculate probability?

To use the expression, you would first calculate the binomial coefficients. In this case, it would be (8 choose 2) x (6 choose 2) x (4 choose 2) x (2 choose 2). Then, you would multiply all the coefficients together to get the total number of possible combinations. Finally, to get the probability, you would divide the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the purpose of using binomial coefficients in probability calculations?

Binomial coefficients help to simplify and organize the calculation of probabilities. They represent the number of ways to select a certain number of items from a larger set, which is an important factor in determining the probability of an event occurring.

4. Can this expression be used for any type of probability calculation?

No, this expression is specifically used for calculating the probability of selecting a certain number of items from a larger set. It is not applicable for all types of probability calculations.

5. What is the significance of the numbers used in the expression, such as 8, 6, 4, and 2?

The numbers represent the size of each set from which items are being selected. In this case, there are 8 items in the first set, 6 items in the second set, 4 items in the third set, and 2 items in the last set. These numbers are important in determining the total number of possible combinations and the overall probability of the event.