Problem of Terrorism in Middle East: Understanding US Support for Israel

• News
  • Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
In summary: Defense Policy Board is.In summary, the problem with terrorism before the Iraq War was that the terrorist wanted us to stop supporting Israel and remove our troops from Saudi Arabia. The problem with supporting Israel is that they have often broken UN resolutions. The US supports Israel because it is an ally and it is beneficial to have them as a security and economic partner.
Alem2000
It seems to me that before we got ourselvs into the war in Iraq the problem of "terrorism" was simple. What did the "terrorists" want..only 2 things. They wanted us to get our troops out of Saudi Arabia (wich is Islams holiest land..if I am not mistaken) and to stop our unconditional support for Isreil. What I don't understand about that is ...its soo simple :bugeye: . Why didnt we just do it? It seems to me (although I don't know exactly where I stand on this issue) that the United States would be better off if it just left the middle east alone and let the United Nations do its job. Its too complicated to be sticking your nose into. You have Isreal who is ruthless in its attacks on any other people than its own.http://www.waroffice.us/israel.htm I mean seriously. I heard on BBC news yesterday that Isreali solders shot a middle school girl dead..with 20 bullets :eek: . Then you have the other great problem of the middle east..Islam. I think Islam means peace? I know its ignorant to generalize so I wont...Islam isn't the problem, the problem is fundamental Muslims. If you compare fundamentle anything(christianity for one) yeah they can be annoying. Like they will preach you to death..but fundamental Muslims, that's a different story. I don't think I need to get into that. One big issue that I don't understand is why does America support Isreal? Its a very developed country and can stand up for itself. Does anyone have any insight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
We couldn't leave Saudi Arabia because we were enforcing the UN mandated armistice with Iraq,which include the no-fly zones. We were able to remove ourselves after the Iraq war.

Israel is a developed country BECAUSE of our support, and at one time, that of western Europe too.

We reign in Israel just as much as we support her. The country could steamroll all of Palestine if they wanted.
Israel's past support has been justified due to the relationships benefits to us during the cold war. We continue to support Israel because they are a security and economic ally. Asking why we support Israel is the same as asking why we support any other economic and security ally.
What exactly are you looking for?

Security? It seems like supporting their military actions, mostly agianst civilians if I may add is hurting us. If you go to BBC news you can read that about their week long military campaign in Gaza. 120 people died a wopping 1/3 of them...yep you guessed it were civilians. Elderly and the very young if I may add.

But, Israel has also broken 69 UN resolutions. That was the last count, I believe. If a country breaks UN resolutions, such as Iraq, how come Israel isn't targetted by the US?

69... :bugeye: that's alot!

Alem2000 said:
69... :bugeye: that's alot!

Indeed. I don't want to mystify the discussion, but an Israeli government official assassinated a UN official several years ago. The UN is aware of Israel's involvment in the assassination. I'll see if I can find the link.

This one might be a tad biased:

http://globalfire.tv/nj/03en/jews/israel1.htm

Here's another one:

http://www.blairfacedlies.org/hook.htm

And one from a bit more credible of a source:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,855525,00.html

Edit: Seems to be that an actual soldier of the Israeli army assasinated the UN official.

The most ironic thing is Israel is actully breaking a current resolution that allows weapons inspectors to inspect Israel's weapons cache. Saddam deceived, and somewhat allowed, but Israel blantly refuses. Which one's worse?

graphic7 said:
Indeed. I don't want to mystify the discussion, but an Israeli government official assassinated a UN official several years ago. The UN is aware of Israel's involvment in the assassination. I'll see if I can find the link.

This one might be a tad biased:

http://globalfire.tv/nj/03en/jews/israel1.htm

Here's another one:

http://www.blairfacedlies.org/hook.htm

And one from a bit more credible of a source:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,855525,00.html

Edit: Seems to be that an actual soldier of the Israeli army assasinated the UN official.

The most ironic thing is Israel is actully breaking a current resolution that allows weapons inspectors to inspect Israel's weapons cache. Saddam deceived, and somewhat allowed, but Israel blantly refuses. Which one's worse?

First: The last two links are the same story, one is just a repost of the other.

Second: If you call the guardian unbiased, i would be terrified to see what you consider to be biased reporting. Although that particular story did not seem too saturated with their personal politics that newspaper is well known for the opposite of "journalistic integrity and lack of bias."

Yeah Israel has done a lot of things it shouldn't have. But the US government does hold them back a lot. As to why the US continues to support them, its become a ingrown part of the American political right--traditionally it was out of a guilty conscience about not acting soon enough against the holocaust--hence the creation of the state. Supporting was an issue of protecting it from the hostile nations it was surrounded by who attacked it first. The support of Israel is something that is taught as a moral imperative by conservatives. Taken out of historical context, even i find supporting it to be unviable at best. But in when reexamined in historical context, we made our enemies in the middle east by trying to atone for our sins in not intervening in Europe. So because we tried to do the right moral thing, we made permanent enemies there. They demanded we turn our backs on our morality--can't do that--and now its gotten to where israel is our only ally in fighting enemies we got by trying to do the right moral thing. You see, unlike France, we've stuck to our commitment to make up for what we did wrong.

Israel is a country with a culture of survival--for thousands of years they're been invaded, enslaved, so on and so forth. Its part of their cultural psyche. Of course they're going to respond with overwhelming force to any threat, because to them every threat is one that could potentially end their country's existence.

Israel is in a bad situation and the US backing away isn't going to help. The whole power balance in the region will change to somthing unpredictable, and the Palestinians won't suddenly get their state.

graphic7 said:
But, Israel has also broken 69 UN resolutions. That was the last count, I believe. If a country breaks UN resolutions, such as Iraq, how come Israel isn't targetted by the US?
Because Israel plays ball with us, Iraq didn't. Or was this a rhetorical question? I'm sure you already knew this answer.

graphic7 said:

nice spin.

Show me this resolution so I can read its text.

It isn't about which is worse. Israel isn't a signer of the NPT. Iraq was. Israel hasn't signed an armistace allowing war to resume if conditions aren't met, Iraq was.

Alem2000 said:
Security? It seems like supporting their military actions, mostly agianst civilians if I may add is hurting us. If you go to BBC news you can read that about their week long military campaign in Gaza. 120 people died a wopping 1/3 of them...yep you guessed it were civilians. Elderly and the very young if I may add.

Do you know why we were able to shoot down Russia's MIGs? Because Israeli spies brokered a deal with an Iraqi air force member and had him fly one to Israel. The plane, the pilot, and his family were then shipped to the US. We dissassembled the plane, and air superiority reversed.
Israel has been critical in the projection of US power in the region and the world.
I don't want to get into personal opinions on this.
The past has shown assisting Israel to benefit us.When the benefit of Israel exceeds the cost of support, she will be cut loose. Hopefully, that day doesn't come anytime soon.

Alem2000 said:
It seems to me that before we got ourselvs into the war in Iraq the problem of "terrorism" was simple. What did the "terrorists" want..only 2 things. They wanted us to get our troops out of Saudi Arabia (wich is Islams holiest land..if I am not mistaken) and to stop our unconditional support for Isreil.
You vastly oversimplify: terrorism has existed since before the '91 gulf war. Further, the terrorists have said fairly explicitly that they want to annihilate us and Israel. This isn't a fight we can walk away from because it will follow us.

Further, you guys are flat-out ignoring the terrorist issue altogether.

I was going to go through and point out all the factual errors, mischaracterizations, and logical fallacies, but its pointless: everything you guys are saying is just wrong.

Alem2000 said:
It seems to me that before we got ourselvs into the war in Iraq the problem of "terrorism" was simple. What did the "terrorists" want..only 2 things. They wanted us to get our troops out of Saudi Arabia (wich is Islams holiest land..if I am not mistaken) and to stop our unconditional support for Isreil.
You're focusing on the 'buzz words' without really analyzing the history and motives of the people tossing the buzz words around.

Just like saying "We need politicians not beholden to special interest groups and corporations!" gains you a sympathetic audience in the US, tossing the buzz words of "Evil USA" and "Evil Israel" earns you a sympathetic audience in the Middle East. Many people in the US feel uncomfortable about the influence (or at least perceived influence) of corporations and interest groups that donate large amounts of money to election campaigns. Many people in the Middle East feel uncomfortable about the rapid cultural changes occurring in their countries.

Saudi Arabia and Israel are not the primary motivators for terrorist groups. If not these buzz words, they would find others. The fact that a sympathetic audience for terms like "Evil USA" exists is a problem, but that sympathy doesn't extend to endorsing terrorism or war against the West among mainstream Arabs. At best, it gains a little tolerance among a minority of the Arab population.

The goal of most your fundamentalist terrorist groups is a sectarian government enforcing strict adherence to traditional Islamic values. Considering the fact that much of the change in Middle Eastern culture has been seen as positive, the primary goal of the fundamentalist groups would not make a very appealing message to the general public, hence the dependence on pointing out the evils of outside influence instead of talking about the benefits of returning to a strict fundamentalist tradition.

(Edit: Kind of like the reasoning behind the Swift Boat ads - Hey, there's only a couple of weeks of Bush bashing left before the election. Got to get my last shots in).

Last edited:
I know what I said is a bit overboard and oversimplified but when you think about it that region is just a big mess. The fundamentalists are *#&$ crazy! let's just put it like that. But the Isrealie Palastinian conflict is too much. Isreal is an established nation..the paramilitaries fighting against it are not. The paramilitaries such as Hamas,Al-aqsa martyrs...ect have no moral obligations, Isreal does...it just does. Isreal can't say Hamas blew up a bus so now we are going to shoot hellfire missles into the most densly populated community in the world...you just can't do that.

The paramilitaries such as Hamas,Al-aqsa martyrs...ect have no moral obligations...
Why not? Doesn't being human imply an obligation?
Alem2000 said:
Isreal can't say Hamas blew up a bus so now we are going to shoot hellfire missles into the most densly populated community in the world...you just can't do that.
Why not?

Well they can't because Hamas is not the legitimate leadership of palistine. Its not like the palistinians voted for representation by them, they are just a group of thugs that get moral support from palistinians b/c they are giving isreal a taste of its own medicine not to mention financial aid to victims of isrealie solders (and yes being human implies obligations, but I don't consider someone who blows themselves up to kill civilians human). Being human implies obligations that exactly why isreal can't just shoot at random(ie...i consider isrealies to be humans,unlik the hamas,al-aqsa martyrs..ect). Unless you want to tell me isreal is a nation of thugs you must atleast think at some point that what they are doing to palistinian civilians is immoral.

Wait, so Hamas is a bunch of thugs, but Israel is still wrong for attacking them?? That doesn't make sense. The fact that Hamas is a bunch of thugs (terrorists) is the reason why Israel has the high ground here.

I think you know what I mean. Isreal is a great country, I think I heard that they have the best urban warfare team in the world. They need to kill Hamas b/c that hamas's goal for them. It isn't very difficult for them to do so, what I don't agree with is when they fire missles into RESIDENTIAL areas. I know isrealies hate palistinians(as do palistinians hate isrealies) but that doesn't give them the right to kill civilians(for both sides), the difference in the palistinian case is that there is no one to answer for it. Its wrong but whos going to take the blame...? Palistine is basically in anarchy...Isreal isnt, in the isrealie case there are people standing behind there actions as if it were morally correct. For palistine who stands behind the attacks? Hamas doesn't represent the people..hamas's actions are acts of terrorism...so should isreal react by terrorising a people who are 2 way victims(victims of hamas's actions and that of isreals reactions).

victims of hamas's actions and that of isreals reactions
?!
hamas action and israeli reaction??
well i think there is a big mistake here...it was always hamas who does the reaction not israelis ... hamas started "suicide" bombing along time after intifada as a reaction of israelis attacks , hamas always commit a "suicide" bombing after an israeli big attack or something like that!

as a person living in palestine, i am sure israel can kill us all but it doesn't need to do that, because it is getting world support by this making prople think that they are morals , well just look at figures showing how many kid was killed from the palestinian side and the israeli one .and tell me who is the "immoral" side..

MSI said:
victims of hamas's actions and that of isreals reactions
?!
hamas action and israeli reaction??
well i think there is a big mistake here...it was always hamas who does the reaction not israelis ... hamas started "suicide" bombing along time after intifada as a reaction of israelis attacks , hamas always commit a "suicide" bombing after an israeli big attack or something like that!

Hamas is wrong. Israel is wrong. The PLA is wrong. Until you can admit that, your very attitude will continue to keep this circle of violence going.

ANY justification for the suicide bombers is one that makes it very easy for the USA to not help you, and let's be honest here...WE ARE the only ones who have a real interest in helping you (even if in the most pessimistic eyes it's only an indirect one due to want for peace in Israel.)

well the fighters here always agreed to have truce but always it was israel who broke it!
israel won't have peace with us, because this will be against its peace, israel is trying to get all palestine and this will happen sooner or later .. they are waiting to make this legal

MSI said:
well the fighters here always agreed to have truce but always it was israel who broke it!
israel won't have peace with us, because this will be against its peace, israel is trying to get all palestine and this will happen sooner or later .. they are waiting to make this legal

Saying it over and over doesn't make it true:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,972578,00.html
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2003-08/12/content_254214.htm

Both sides have been responsible for breaking the cease fires put in place in the past.

What is your opinion of Arafat? He is worth 300 million while Palestinians starve, has no control of the terrorist (yes, I refuse to call them just 'fighters' ) groups in the country he claims to lead, and has not delivered peace to Palestine in his many decades of rule. He led the revolts in Black september, setting an awful precedent for neighboring Arab countries to assist the Palestinians.
He seems an inept leader from my eyes. Why is he still around?

Also MSI, I am sorry for your pessimism on the entire situation (even though I understand it). The world, including the USA, have failed you and the Israelis. While both sides have a part to play, this entire matter could be solved if it took even priority in Europe and the US. I assure you, a two state solution is the goal. I have written extensively in the past to my leaders in support of such a solution. Israel WILL NOT ever take all of Palestine. I disagree with you on Israel being the only problem, but am glad you can join us on this forum :)

The fundamental problem at the core of this, if I recall correctly (wow, I haven't looked into Israel in a long time...), is that both the israelies and palastinians call the same land their holy land, and both have records going way back suggesting it was theirs first, neither with a clear advantage in proving their case.

In the end, they must either find a way tp coexist in a free-religion society, or bicker and fight until one is annihilated.

Stop ****ing giving 3 bililon dollars a year to the Israel and we going to have peace over there in no time!Yeah ! that's right ,is so simple! :mad:

Does that mean we have to stop giving billions to egypt to?

kat said:
Does that mean we have to stop giving billions to egypt to?

US should expropiate Suez canal, secure oil fields in Iraq, keep Saudis addicted to petrodollars and then Egyptians and Israelis can go to hell.

tumor said:
US should expropiate Suez canal, secure oil fields in Iraq, keep Saudis addicted to petrodollars and then Egyptians and Israelis can go to hell.

Oh, so sovereignty and morality only extend to the Palestinians? We should **** over anyone else we can?

I have found something very curious,jews dominate in almost all fields of science/technology, so how come Israel needs 3 billion $/year? Smart people shoul be self efficient right?
Do Germans, Japanese or Dutch (also very sciencs savy people) get billions from USA? No! They study and work hard, and their industry is second to none.
USA could give help developing and quite unstable nations like Egypt or Jordan,but Israel can take care of their own. And without US taxpayer dollars , and fancy F-16 ,Apache choppers peace in M.East. guaranteed!

tumor said:
I have found something very curious,jews dominate in almost all fields of science/technology, so how come Israel needs 3 billion $/year? Smart people shoul be self efficient right?
Do Germans, Japanese or Dutch (also very sciencs savy people) get billions from USA? No! They study and work hard, and their industry is second to none.
USA could give help developing and quite unstable nations like Egypt or Jordan,but Israel can take care of their own. And without US taxpayer dollars , and fancy F-16 ,Apache choppers peace in M.East. guaranteed!

Israel often gets far more than 3 million a year...and it's all in loan guarantees. Israel has also ALWAYS paid us back within specified times.
If smart peopel should be self sufficient, and you claim that borrowing money makes you NOT self sufficient, then you are saying that anyone who borrows money is not smart. So you don't own a credit card, have a car loan, or borrowed for a house/school/etc? So N Korea, in all their wisdom of self sufficiency is smart? But the all the other countries of the world are not??
We already help Egypt and Jordan more than anyone else -what more do you want??
Your last sentence is not a sentence, but rather a fragment.

When will you be brave enough to rebut the rest of my posts? As is, you are painfully digging a hole that shows your ignorance (and possible bigotry) of the entire situation.

Hey now, I'm no moderator, but let's have civil discussions and debates. Name calling doesn't prove any points.

1. What is the relationship between US support for Israel and the problem of terrorism in the Middle East?

The US has been a long-standing ally and supporter of Israel, providing military and economic aid. This support has been a major source of tension in the region, as many Middle Eastern countries view Israel as an occupying force and see US support as a form of endorsement for Israeli actions. This has fueled anti-American sentiment and contributed to the problem of terrorism in the region.

2. How has US support for Israel impacted the political landscape in the Middle East?

US support for Israel has been a major factor in shaping the political landscape in the Middle East. It has led to strained relationships between the US and other countries in the region, as well as internal conflicts within these countries. The perception of US bias towards Israel has also fueled extremist ideologies and actions, contributing to the problem of terrorism.

3. Is US support for Israel the sole cause of terrorism in the Middle East?

No, US support for Israel is not the sole cause of terrorism in the Middle East. There are many complex factors that contribute to the problem, including historical conflicts, economic disparities, and religious extremism. However, US support for Israel has played a significant role in exacerbating these issues and fueling anti-American sentiment.

4. How has US foreign policy towards Israel evolved over time?

The US has maintained a close relationship with Israel since its establishment in 1948. However, the level and nature of support has fluctuated over time, depending on the political climate and leadership in both countries. In recent years, there has been a trend towards stronger support for Israel, particularly under the current administration.

5. What steps can be taken to address the problem of terrorism in the Middle East and the US support for Israel?

There is no easy solution to the complex issue of terrorism in the Middle East. However, steps can be taken to address the underlying causes, such as promoting diplomacy and peaceful resolution of conflicts, addressing economic disparities, and addressing extremist ideologies. In terms of US support for Israel, a more balanced and unbiased approach to foreign policy could help alleviate tensions and promote stability in the region.