What voltage would produce a noticeable current through dry skin?

• Thread starter PepeF.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Procedure
In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of electric shock on the human body, including the varying levels of current that can be felt, cause pain, or be fatal. It also mentions that skin resistance can change depending on whether it is dry or wet. The homework problem involves finding the minimum voltage that would produce a current that can be felt by a person with dry skin. The equation V=IR is used to solve the problem.
PepeF.

Homework Statement

The damage caused by electric shock depends
on the current flowing through the body;
1 mA can be felt and 5 mA is painful. Above
15 mA, a person loses muscle control, and 70
mA can be fatal. A person with dry skin has a
resistance from one arm to the other of about
1.1 × 10^5
. When skin is wet, the resistance
drops to about 5100
What is the minimum voltage placed across
the arms that would produce a current that
could be felt by a person with dry skin?
Answer in units of V.

Homework Equations

V=R*I

The Attempt at a Solution

i want to know the procedure to solve this problem
i have tried, but i don't quite understand the problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't specified the units of resistance, but assuming you have them there with you, the resistance is "R" in the equation. The current is expressed as "I" in the equation. "V" is the voltage. And you have the equation V = IR, so...

1. What exactly is the procedure here?

The specific procedure will depend on the context and the goal of the experiment or investigation. Generally, the procedure involves a series of steps that are followed in order to collect data and reach a conclusion.

2. Why is it important to follow a procedure?

A procedure provides structure and consistency to scientific experiments, ensuring that the results are accurate and repeatable. It also allows for other scientists to replicate the experiment and verify the results.

3. How do you determine the appropriate procedure for an experiment?

The procedure is usually determined through careful planning and research. Scientists will consider the purpose of the experiment, the variables involved, and any potential limitations or safety concerns before deciding on a procedure.

4. Can the procedure be changed or modified during an experiment?

In most cases, it is important to follow the procedure exactly as it is outlined in order to obtain accurate and reliable results. However, if unforeseen circumstances arise, adjustments may be made as long as they are carefully documented and do not significantly alter the experiment.

5. How do you know if the procedure was successful?

The success of a procedure can be determined by the results obtained. If the data collected is consistent and supports the hypothesis, then the procedure can be considered successful. It is also important to carefully analyze and interpret the results to ensure accuracy and validity.