What is the pronounciation of this letter in english?

• Thread starter gholamghar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the conversation is about the pronunciation and naming conventions of the derivative operator symbol, ∂, in English. It is not a letter in the English alphabet and is often pronounced as "del" or "partial" in colloquial usage. However, it can also be pronounced as "d" or "curly d". Some people also refer to it as "dau" or "dee". In Cyrillic alphabet, it is sometimes written as ∂ or g, but in English it is typically referred to as "partial".
gholamghar
Hello
My native language is not English an i have a noob! question about the pronounciation of the derivative operator letter in English and how we write its name in English, i have attached the picture of operator.
Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    333 bytes · Views: 672
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's called "del" or "partial", although in "colloquial" usage people often say "d" when they mean "del".

First, it is not a "letter" in the English alphabet. It is a special symbol. I, myself, have never heard it called "del". To me "del" is the vector operator, "nabla", [itex]\nabla[/itex]. If f(x, y, z) is a real valued function of x, y, and z (Cartesian coordinates) then "del f" (also called "grad f") is the vector function
[tex]\nabla f= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
Similarly, I have heard "div v" called "del dot v" and "curl v" called "del cross v" for vector function v, though I would not consider any of those as formal as "grad", "div", or "curl".

I have, though, heard [itex]\partial [/itex] called "curly d". The LaTex code for it is "\partial".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello gholamghar! :smile:

Yes, ∂ isn't an English letter or even a Greek letter like ∑ or π, it's just a symbol.

I believe a lot of people pronounce it "dabba", but I just pronounce it "d" (though I call it "curly d"). :biggrin:

(and I also have never heard it pronounced "del", that's for ∇)

I generally say "partial of f with respect to x", if I want to talk about ∂f/∂x. The symbol "∂" never appears by itself, so I have never worried about what to call it.

HallsofIvy said:
I, myself, have never heard it called "del". To me "del" is the vector operator, "nabla", [itex]\nabla[/itex].

Whoops, you are so right.
I meant to say "dau" ([dow]).
* deeply ashamed *

∂ is a letter of Cyrillic alphabet, right? I remember my teacher said it in a lesson.
Anyway, I read:
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]
as "de" f over "de" x

Last edited:
Several of my lecturers pronounce it "del." Others use "del" to refer to the gradient operator, as has been mentioned, which can be confusing. Ways I have heard it pronounced from educated people:

Del,
Dau,
D,
Partial.

Mathitalian said:
∂ is a letter of Cyrillic alphabet, right?
Sort of. In Russian, the cursive form of lower case Д is sometimes written as ∂, and sometimes as g. That's always been a little confusing to me. This wike article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet, has some good information.
Mathitalian said:
I remember my teacher said it in a lesson.
Anyway, I read:
as "de" f over "de" x

To my knowledge, we say "partial". That's what I've always heard and was told a while ago.

Mathitalian said:
∂ is a letter of Cyrillic alphabet, right? I remember my teacher said it in a lesson.
Anyway, I read:
as "de" f over "de" x

If you say "dee" f over "dee" x, someone listening would likely interpret this as the ordinary derivative instead of a partial derivative. There have been a number of times where I was helping someone with calculus over the phone. In such cases you have to be more clear than when you can see the work.
discrete* said:
To my knowledge, we say "partial". That's what I've always heard and was told a while ago.
Yeah, me, too. I always pronounce this as "partial of f with respect to x."

Mark44 said:
If you say "dee" f over "dee" x, someone listening would likely interpret this as the ordinary derivative instead of a partial derivative. There have been a number of times where I was helping someone with calculus over the phone. In such cases you have to be more clear than when you can see the work.

Yes you're right. Here, we use the name of [tex]\partial[/tex], that is dɛ in IPA.

Yes, I always just pronounce it 'partial', and have never heard anyone else do differently. This makes sense even when you use shorthand:
[tex]\partial_x = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

Read as, obviously, partial x. Insert "of" if when operating on something you think it sounds weird to omit it.

1. What is the correct pronunciation of the letter "A" in English?

The letter "A" in English is typically pronounced as a short vowel sound, like "uh". However, it can also be pronounced as a long vowel sound, like "ay" in some words such as "ate" or "late". It can also be pronounced as a nasal sound, like "ang" in words like "fang" or "bang". The pronunciation of the letter "A" depends on the word it is used in and can vary.

2. How do you pronounce the letter "B" in English?

The letter "B" in English is pronounced as a voiced bilabial stop, meaning that both lips come together to stop the flow of air before being released. The sound is similar to the letter "P", but with vibration in the vocal cords.

3. Is the letter "C" pronounced differently in different words?

Yes, the letter "C" can have two different pronunciations in English. When followed by the letters "e", "i", or "y", it is pronounced as an "S" sound, as in "cent", "city", or "cycle". In all other cases, it is pronounced as a hard "K" sound, like in "cat" or "car".

4. What is the pronunciation of the letter "D" in English?

The letter "D" in English is pronounced as a voiced dental stop, meaning that the tip of the tongue touches the back of the upper teeth to stop the flow of air before being released. The sound is similar to the letter "T", but with vibration in the vocal cords.

5. How do you pronounce the letter "E" in English?

The letter "E" in English can be pronounced in different ways depending on the word it is used in. It can be pronounced as a long vowel sound, like "ee" in words like "bee" or "see". It can also be pronounced as a short vowel sound, like "eh" in words like "bed" or "pen". It can also be pronounced as a schwa sound, like "uh" in words like "the" or "butter". The pronunciation of the letter "E" can vary greatly in English.