What is the purpose of a college education?

In summary: I forget what he was doing.In summary, people are focused on getting a good job and don't appreciate the education they are receiving.
chiro said:
Do you think a kind of forum based approach will ever be adopted for learning in the spirit of say physicsforums?

Already been done. University of Phoenix is based around online forums.

So just to clarify, could you see a completely (or at least largely) open model of education

No idea how all of this is going to fit together.

Physics news on Phys.org
ColonialBoy said:
During my current education degree we use moodle & blackboard. Those two are the standard for online course delivery, and online courses are becoming far more common in universities. You get course content, forums, assignments, courses documents, exams all in the one place.

In fact I'm in Australia & we did one course jointly with Canadians https://blackboard.ucalgary.ca/webapps/login/

That's not what I meant to ask.

What I meant to ask was given a platform that was open to the general community (using these tools you mentioned) with some kind of voluntary system of educators, could both the platform and the nature of the open system (voluntary members, free access, open educational protocol, all forums open to the general public, and an open accreditation process) be taken seriously?

In other words, could this kind of system above, eventually be a model of education that people whether they be employers, researchers and scientists, government and industry take seriously.

Again I'm not focusing on the technological aspects per se, but the combined application of the technology with some other processes whereby an open educational model where much of the content, accreditation process, and the ability to socially acknowledge the platform as something to be taken seriously could or would be probable.

In other words, could an open university that is accessible to the general public, with a strict accreditation protocol similar to what universities have with organizations like the IEEE for engineering, and scientific societies for science degrees and so on, with volunteers who also have to meet requirements that are outlined by the relevant accreditation policies, with open content, open assessment, and open involvement using the technology you posted about (moodle/blackboard) ever get off the ground, and if so/not so, then why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
chiro said:
I guess the next question that is a followup, is could this model end up becoming an acceptable form of learning that is recognized and taken seriously by employers, researchers, government, and industry?

For business that battle has already been won. University of Phoenix puts out 100,000 degrees each year, and I know enough managers and HR with people UoP degrees that you are putting your own career at risk if you don't take them seriously.

The problem with physics degrees is that that there isn't the demand for it. People get MBA's because they think they can turn the MBA into cash and pay for the cost of getting the degree, whereas people don't see the payoff in physics degrees.

Look at all of the people complaining in this forum about their difficulty in getting jobs. Now imagine if we made it *easier* to learn physics.

Suppose instead of having 1000 Ph.D.'s graduate each year, you had 10,000 or 100,000? Suppose you had ten million people with bachelors of science in physics, what happens? You have 2 billion people in China and India, a billion people in Africa. Suppose you develop distance learning so that 20% of them suddenly have the same education level as people in the US. What happens?

At that point you have to go into core beliefs. I happen to believe that an educated society is a good thing, and if we can't structure our economy to find jobs for 100,000 new physics Ph.D.'s each year or 10 million new bachelors in physics, then we just have figure out how to change our economy so that it can.

twofish-quant said:
For business that battle has already been won. University of Phoenix puts out 100,000 degrees each year, and I know enough managers and HR with people UoP degrees that you are putting your own career at risk if you don't take them seriously.

The problem with physics degrees is that that there isn't the demand for it. People get MBA's because they think they can turn the MBA into cash and pay for the cost of getting the degree, whereas people don't see the payoff in physics degrees.

Look at all of the people complaining in this forum about their difficulty in getting jobs. Now imagine if we made it *easier* to learn physics.

Suppose instead of having 1000 Ph.D.'s graduate each year, you had 10,000 or 100,000? Suppose you had ten million people with bachelors of science in physics, what happens? You have 2 billion people in China and India, a billion people in Africa. Suppose you develop distance learning so that 20% of them suddenly have the same education level as people in the US. What happens?

At that point you have to go into core beliefs. I happen to believe that an educated society is a good thing, and if we can't structure our economy to find jobs for 100,000 new physics Ph.D.'s each year or 10 million new bachelors in physics, then we just have figure out how to change our economy so that it can.

But isn't that a resource allocation problem? And if that is the case, is this tied directly to the financial system, since the financial system controls the issuance of credit and hence indirectly (or directly) control the allocation of resources?

I guess the followup question to that is "Is there a better way of resource allocation"? I do know a great deal of people think and actively write about this, but since you are actually working within the environment yourself, I'm wondering if you have thought about this yourself and have any advice in this regard.

chiro said:
But isn't that a resource allocation problem? And if that is the case, is this tied directly to the financial system, since the financial system controls the issuance of credit and hence indirectly (or directly) control the allocation of resources?

Yes. It's a massive political/economic/social problem, that I don't think that anyone has any clue how to solve. Part of the purpose of *academics* is to think about these sorts of problems.

Also, one "thought experiment" that I've had from time to time is to imagine a society in which you could snap your fingers and then instantly any physical object that you imagine would appear. Or else imagine a world in which you could instantly learn anything you want. OK, now what? There are some science fiction writers in this forum and maybe they could take crack at that.

I guess the followup question to that is "Is there a better way of resource allocation"?

I always start with the assumption that things can be done better. In any case, it's not a problem that I think can be avoided. You can't uninvent the internet.

I do know a great deal of people think and actively write about this, but since you are actually working within the environment yourself, I'm wondering if you have thought about this yourself and have any advice in this regard.

One other thing that I'd suggest is that there are anti-Wall Street protests that are starting to break out all the over the US, and it would probably a good idea to join them. I think it's a good thing that people are protesting.

Also read history. Something that occurs to me is that we are living in a world in which things can change very quickly, and one thing that makes me feel old is having to explain the mindset of the 1990's to people that are in college now. Basically in 1991, it was assumed that "history was over." The US won, the Soviet's lost and thanks to technology we would be living in permanent prosperity. It hasn't turned out that way, but even thinking about how we got from 1991 to 2011 should give some clues as to what happens next.

twofish-quant said:
I don't think that I am. Part of it is that we are swimming in data, so if it was "easy" to replace a college, then it would have been done already. It's partly out of my one efforts of self-study that I appreciate how difficult it is to put together a college online.

There are a lot of subtle social aspects of colleges that need to be replicated online.
On the other hand school isn't the only thing that provides motivation to learn.
One problem here is that sometimes you need to tell the external source of motivation to get lost. Also it's not that easy to divide between internal motivation and external motivation. When you take a test in a college, it's not as if someone is pointing a gun to you and if you just leave the classroom, you aren't going to physically die. So "external motivation" requires some internal agreement. At the same time, you have to wonder where internal motivation comes from.
Except that the Ph.D. degree is all about self-study. Once you finish up the first two years of the degree and pass your qualifiers, there are no more formal courses, and you spend most of your time in the library trying to teach yourself whatever it is that you have to learn.

Part of it is that for Ph.D. degrees it's not a matter of "knowledge transfer" between a professor and student. You are expected to do something original that no one else has done before, and that means going to the library and figuring out what it is that you need to figure out.

Which means putting together a lesson plan. Eventually someone is going to do it.
I agree with what you said, there are a lot of people that go through the bare minimum in learning even though there is external motivation.

Most of your post was spot on, and I agree with most of your reasoning. However, it is in my opinion that you don't see the importance of authority. It would be much more harder to try and self-study all by yourself with no outside authority. The importance of college stems from its ability to assume authority, while I agree that an internal agreement is absolutely essential-- it doesn't strike me as highly assumptive to say that both external and internal motivation can unlock more of your true potential than either one alone.

Of course you can self-teach much of the material, but that leaves out the essential social aspect of being able to share ideas and meet other like-minded people. College is a great institution to bring everything together. I am a big optimist and I would love the internet to take off with education, but as of now I do feel it might have its shortcomings. A stupendous amount of information lies at the internet a click of a button away at relatively easy (or at times not so easy) access. BUT, its inability to bring minds together and communicate in a comfortable environment is its current problem-- and that is a big but.

But who is to say that won't change in the future? :smile: The internet has immense potential for education if you really think about it.

Nano-Passion said:
But who is to say that won't change in the future? :smile: The internet has immense potential for education if you really think about it.

The internet is basically right now a major educational tool. Never before have we had the ability to not only get access to so much information both refined and unrefined, but also the speed at which we get this is mind boggling.

The biggest challenges are, in my opinion, the ability to get the "information from the data" and all relevant aspects to this. This includes the ability to organize data, the ability to find data, and the ability to put this data into the context of something else.

Right now I feel we are only at the tip of the iceberg in doing this, and it will be amazing what we achieve in the next century, and even the next decade!