What is the Purpose of Life? The Universe's Audience

• Thread starter praveen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the purpose of life is to unite with something else. You have to find your own subjective purpose, which usually involves finding happiness.
praveen
What is the purpose of Life ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Meh, I am so sick of this "problem", so let's answer it once and for all.

Short answer:
There is no objective purpose for humans, you have to find your own subjective purpose. Most times that purpose is to find happiness.

Long answer:
Noone knows where the universe comes from and why it exists.
Since everything in the universe is made up of the same stuff(particles or strings), and we don't know the purpose for these particles/strings to exist, there is no reason yet.

Therefore, the only thing you can do is make up your own subjective/spiritual reason.
These will differ from person to person.

Is that good enough an answer for ya?

The prupose of life is to unify with something esle. What you choose to unify with is up to you.

But if you decide to bond with a lizard and marry it for life, don't blame Enos.

The purpose of life is to reproduce itself more-or-less in kind.

bola said:
Meh, I am so sick of this "problem", so let's answer it once and for all.

Short answer:
There is no objective purpose for humans, you have to find your own subjective purpose. Most times that purpose is to find happiness.

Long answer:
Noone knows where the universe comes from and why it exists.
Since everything in the universe is made up of the same stuff(particles or strings), and we don't know the purpose for these particles/strings to exist, there is no reason yet.

Therefore, the only thing you can do is make up your own subjective/spiritual reason.
These will differ from person to person.

Is that good enough an answer for ya?

i agree with your short answer : to find happiness

Your life doesn't end when happieness is reached. But unification is constant thus our purpose is beyond our life. That is why reproducing is a way of continuing yourself through your genes.

Folks,

when somebody ask this question " what is the purpose of life ? " , we always try to "answer" the question .

here i wud like to know , " why shud everything in universe ( including life ) MUST have purpose/reason ? ". why we always expect a purpose/reson for a an activity ?

cant be there a "Action" without a purpose ?

and if there is , then what is the source of action ? what is the origin of action without a motive ?

is it love ? then what is love ...?

is "Action" without a motive same as "4 Fundamental forces" in nature ?

I think we are unable to find any scientifc reason for these "fundamental forces" ( gravity , electromagnetism , weak&strong nuclear forces) ...

Nothing has purpose. For pupose to occur, there must be conclusion. Then you say the universe will die once it reaches conclusion, which opens a whole new can of worms.

Erus,

I don't agree with the statement "Nothing has purpose" . We do see lot of "purpose" for so many things in everyday life . going to school , doing Job , getting married...or examine your body parts , every thing has it's own purpose...right ? do you agree ? or am I wrong ??

I think if something (begins)exist with a "purpose" also have "END" .

can we agree that this is the LAW ? everything which has a "cause" must also have "end"

if we agree to this law , then let's think about this..." Life has beggining and also has an end". which indicates life , as long as it continues have some purpose. But if there is somebody leading a life without a purpose , will he/she avoid "end" ? and if so How ?

this leads to question...can something "exist" without a purpose ? and if so , what is the source of "existance" ?

What you do in life has a individual subjective purpose only to the extent to.. well yourself.. It's When you think what happens every moment in this universe, it leads up to the next moment, but these moments (in my belief) will never end (cause and conclusion). We have organs, their purpose is to carry life - but what is the purpose of life? We go to school, purpose is education (a better life) but again what is the purpose of having a better life? When you think of the entire life force on Earth (all species since 4 billion years ago til now) we've consumed a hell of a lot of energy. But what is the purpose? Individual purpose can be betrayed by that there is no end to existence. You say, I had a great life, I'm an old person now, and you die. - That's your conclusion? Your purpose? No. What you did on Earth will continue, as in evolution, even more so if you had children, educated others, did something to benefit the rest of society (progress). Your deanimated body will decompose and become nutrients for others, and the Earth. But this is just it. Where are we going and why are we going there? Will a purpose ever show itself?

As long as there is something esle there will always be purpose.

praveen said:
Folks,

when somebody ask this question " what is the purpose of life ? " , we always try to "answer" the question .

here i wud like to know , " why shud everything in universe ( including life ) MUST have purpose/reason ? ". why we always expect a purpose/reson for a an activity ?

cant be there a "Action" without a purpose ?

and if there is , then what is the source of action ? what is the origin of action without a motive ?

is it love ? then what is love ...?

is "Action" without a motive same as "4 Fundamental forces" in nature ?

I think we are unable to find any scientifc reason for these "fundamental forces" ( gravity , electromagnetism , weak&strong nuclear forces) ...

people have always wanted to believe that life has a purpose because ... ummm... they don't want to get lost .

for a vary long time it was to chase females. then to make money.. now to live another day, so I can have one more adventure of any sort..aint life great :smile:

Leong said:
i agree with your short answer : to find happiness

what is happiness?

a lonely forty something male alone in a dark room with a 4 year old child?

the bliss of an emotionally intoxicated man as he rapes a woman?

the delight in making another feel ingnorant?

the smile you receive in the morning from the overwhelming feeling of love for another?

pure ecstasy eh?

all bring happiness to some, anger to others...

The answer is, we are figuratively all but electrons in a circuit, we no not where we are going or if there is a purpose but simply by existing, we (might) help forfill our purpose.

You see, as days, years, centuries and life all work in cycles... so too does time itself.

As a wise being named Hugh Mann once told me, He began life in the 3rd (of several) simultaneous big bangs... him and his friends were all kicked into life in this manner.

After a few thousand years of wandering around, they decided to have a gamble with each other and the competion winner was He who started the first big bang that would hatch a civilisation that would invent technology that could take them to meet their respective masters.

The civilisations (that's us) were to be started in each competitors own Biospacelabtransfixers (Hugh keeps his on his mantlepiece) that would hold each of their bangs/universes in place.

The latest biospacelabtransfixers are designed to isolate as many as 10 big bangs into one modern, mobile, easy to use, easy to observe transfixer that allow it's user to determine what size each bang is ultimately limited to and also set other perimeters like "activate new life pattern warning" or "activate recent space travel notifier".

So, our longterm objective as a species is to travel several billion lightyears in whichever direction we see fit until finally we will either meet our master or maybe he'll get bored (he's already waited almost 2 weeks of his time... that's 13.7billion years of our time!) but in the last couple of seconds he's noticed that a couple of his 'bangs' have made a bit of progress (sort of).

This is good news for Hugh because his friend and competition combatant, Allan Ion, gave Hugh a slightly cocky offer of "doubling the stakes" after the first week (7 billion years) so Hugh is happy but nervous, he thinks that any millisecond now he could be the winner.

Don't get your hopes up too much though, it's not our Universe that He's particuarly happy with, we are winning as far as our Universe goes but that's simply because our best competition is non-existant, the guys from another Universe are beating us (they're seriously contemplating star travel) and plus they have a headstart because sly Hugh started their bang quite near the edge of the biospacelabtransfixer.

One day our immortal, super space traveling grand kids might spark a reaction that will create another Hugh Mann but until then, we've got a lot more space and time problems to figure out.

Was that entertaining to anybody? I'm sorry if it wasn't.

Pete

Life. Purpose. What is our purpose? These are all questions we ask because we see the world around us. We see life replete with interdependancy. Everything in the world functions as part of a greater whole- a link in the chain. Everything else serves a purpose, and so must we too. So we eagerly seek to find that that link, that purpose to justify our existence.

I know that our purpose is not set in stone. That we make our own "purpose" that we seek to find meaningfulness to our existence- to justify ourselves by endearing ourselves to each other. Making connections, give ourselves to others in some attempt to connect with them and the world around us.

Existence. That is our primary purpose. To do as we see fit within those parameters. I think what many people are asking when they ask this, is the nature of our origins. It's all perspective. If the ant knew he existed to feed other animals, would this frighten him? Would he feel better thinking his existence was to contribute to the betterment of his colony? Or to father children of the queen ant?

I submit that "purpose" as was stated earlier, is subjective. Everything has several different reasons it "could" exist. If you select what you feel is the most likely purpose, it does not mean it's the only purpose.

Maybe it's not about getting the right answer, but instead asking the right question...

Why does a plant grow? Only to die? To reproduce? After which its offspring eventually dies as well?

Pointless, eh?

The point of existing does not lie in existence itself, but in turning chaos (ignorance) into order (understanding).

So what when complete understanding has been reached? Now that's the real question ;)

pete66:

lol i quite enjoyed that bit... all this circle talking about purpose... it's all subjective.

once i was religious and had purpose... then i became an atheist and had no purpose (which was mildly disconcerting).. then i decided i wanted to become immortal (grade 7)... after that i determined free will did not exist and wondered why everyone didn't see this simple flaw (grade 7 through 8)... then i got to grade nine and began reading lots of material on that sort of thing and found out i wasn't even remotely the first person to think there was no free will...

not having free will was comforting, as it meant i didn't need to invent a purpose i was the product of all that has come before and all the will come in the future (as time happens all at once you know). After that i did a 'google' search for immortality and found out about the World Transhumanist Association... and now i share my purpose with lots of other transhumanists... of course it's all motivated self interest, but i think we all know that accept it and embrace it as a useful tool :)

life's purpose is life itself.

My take on this question is progression. The purpose of life is to progress. Everything in the universe progress. Wheather it be - or +, its still going from one state (mentally and or physically) to another. This is the one common characteristic I see in any entity in the universe, including the universe itself. Although on a personal level, the answer really depends on the one asking the question; their though process, their environment, ect, have a lot to do with how they precieve things. Asking this question to a monk compared with asking it to a serial killer, you'll probably get answers that differ. It's not so much a scientific question, as integral said, This question is not addressed by science. A satisfactory answer to this question can only be given by the one asking it. Thats why its philosophical, cause wheather you answer it or not, whatever your answer is, no one or nearly no one cares nor is it going to effect them in any way. Its not something you'll be able to write down on your to do list. So ponder. Regard this as either a ****load of **** or food for though.

The purpose of life is to argue about what the purpose of life is.

What if life doesn't have a purpose? Maybe it exists because it's an easy state to sustain; it is active and it tries to exist. Maybe the reason life exists is because, at some point, it was started.

Last edited:
bola said:
Short answer:
There is no objective purpose for humans...

Answers like this cause wide confusion among skeptics. In fact, skeptics are usually produced by answers such as these.

Questions such as "What is my purpose in life?" are highly unlikely to be replied to by a common answer. In such a secular society, in which the populace believes subjectivism is key to living a clear, definite life, asking a question of this magnitude will only get you answers like, "There is no objective purpose for humans." or contrary "There is an objective purpose for everyone". 'How can you possibly find an answer to this question when everyone values their own subjective statement without an authority of objective truth?', you say? Well, you should search for yourself. And as blunt as that sounds, it is the only way. Asking people who are lost themselves and only tell themselves that they have found a definite truth is similar to asking a recent immigrant where to find the nearest Starbuck's. It is unreliable .

I for one, have found this definite truth. Or at least, i seem to have found it. However, i rather not tell you, because i'll simply contradict my earlier statement. And if you think i am doing this because of tolerance, think again.

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I can answer exactly the question " What is the purpose of life?"
But I'm sure I can tell you what my purpose of life is. I live best for the benefit of everyone including me. For me, life is full of enjoyable aspects that allow me to explore and experience. So I live to enjoy them, speaking of enjoyment here is speaking of what brings me true happiness. My true happiness comes from God, from the love and care that I have toward some special people in my life and vice versa. I also live to learn from the experience, I did have bad moments but whenever I overcame these problem, I grow more mature and be stronger.

XMLT

Your question presupposes that life has by neccecity some ultimate purpose.

This limits the possible answer I can arrive at in your argument.
Which defeats the purpose of the question.

pocebokli said:
life's purpose is life itself.

I agree. What other existence do we know? Our experiences in life define our reality and from that one can derive a sense of individual purpose from their life. It matters not what others think of his/her purpose, it is up to the individual to find their purpose.

my opinion of our purpose is: To finally see that the world is no different when we turn the lights out. That we see everything is forever and nothing is old. Plant a dead tree in the ground, just to see it grow again. I live in a machine that is like a car. It still boggles the minds of scientists. How can it work? Then the question is answered after 300,000 miles. it doesn't work.

the meaning of life

when an individual reaches the use of 100% of their brain and only until then will we ever know

praveen said:
What is the purpose of Life ?

---------------------------
The sole Purpose of life is pleasure...and the will to subsequently overcome death and make pleasure permanent, becomes the most powerful and significant reason for us to pursue life.
---------------------------

cloaked_one said:
when an individual reaches the use of 100% of their brain and only until then will we ever know

The idea that we use only a small fraction of our brains is a myth. We use all of it. Ask a neurobiologist about any part of the brain, and the neurobiologist will be able to tell you what it is used for.

Philocrat: So you are a secular humanist who believes in ego-centric values?

Life is short, what purpose can it have ?

Saint said:
Life is short, what purpose can it have ?

Food rots quickly, what purpose can it have?