What is the radius of a geosynchronous satellite?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a geosynchronous satellite orbiting the Earth using the formula T=2π√(R^3/GM) and given constants for the universal gravitational constant, Earth mass, and Earth radius. The correct answer is 4.23×10^7 m, but one individual initially gets a different answer due to incorrect order of operations when calculating. The conversation also mentions the importance of using parentheses in calculator inputs.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Find the radius R of the orbit of a geosynchronous satellite that circles the earth. (Note that R is measured from the center of the earth, not the surface.) You may use the following constants:

* The universal gravitational constant G is [tex]6.67 \times 10^{-11}\;{\rm N \; m^2 / kg^2}[/tex].
* The mass of the Earth is [tex]5.98 \times 10^{24}\;{\rm kg}[/tex].
* The radius of the Earth is [tex]6.38 \times 10^{6}\;{\rm m}[/tex].The correct answer is [tex]4.23\times10^7\;{\rm m}[/tex], but I get a different answer.

Homework Equations

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\frac{R^3}{GM}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since T is measured in seconds, and there are 86,400 seconds in a day, some simple algebra gives me the answer of 1,994,400,816 m. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula is correct, do your calculation again. Use the normal form of the numbers.

ehild

what is the "normal form" for these numbers?

EDIT: I did the calculation a different way, and I got the right answer, but the only thing I did differently was the order that I did the algebra in. I don't know where my error lies.

I normally did:

[tex]\frac{86400\times\sqrt{GM}}{2\pi}=\sqrt{R^3}[/tex]

and solve for R, but instead, this time I did:

[tex]86400^2=4{\pi^2}\frac{R^3}{GM}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{86400^2\times{GM}}{4{\pi^2}}=R^3[/tex]

and it worked... what did i do wrong the first time?

if you square the first equation, you get the same thing...2nd edit, nevermind, i know what I did wrong.

this has been a nice lesson for me in making sure I properly place parenthesis in a calculator to ensure teh correct order of operations. because [tex]x/2\pi[/tex] is not interpreted as [tex]x/(2\pi)[/tex], but instead as [tex]\frac{x}{2}\pi[/tex]

Last edited:
warfreak131 said:
this has been a nice lesson for me in making sure I properly place parenthesis in a calculator to ensure teh correct order of operations. because [tex]x/2\pi[/tex] is not interpreted as [tex]x/(2\pi)[/tex], but instead as [tex]\frac{x}{2}\pi[/tex]

Never forget the parentheses in the denominator!:rofl:

ehild

No idea why radius of a satellite should depend on the Earth mass.

1. What is a geosynchronous satellite?

A geosynchronous satellite is a type of satellite that orbits the Earth at the same rate as the Earth's rotation, allowing it to maintain a fixed position over a specific location on the Earth's surface.

2. How does a geosynchronous satellite stay in orbit?

A geosynchronous satellite stays in orbit by constantly moving at the same speed and direction as the Earth's rotation. This is called a "synchronous" orbit.

3. What is the purpose of a geosynchronous satellite?

Geosynchronous satellites have a variety of purposes, such as telecommunications, weather monitoring, and navigation. They can also be used for military and scientific purposes.

4. How high is the orbit of a geosynchronous satellite?

The orbit of a geosynchronous satellite is approximately 35,786 kilometers (22,236 miles) above the Earth's surface.

5. Why is the radius of a geosynchronous satellite important?

The radius of a geosynchronous satellite is important because it determines the distance between the satellite and the Earth's surface. This distance is crucial for maintaining a stable orbit and ensuring the satellite's functions are not affected by external forces.