What is the recoil speed of the rifle?

• Thread starter jazzysoshort
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, Kim fires a bullet with a mass of 1.0 g and a muzzle velocity of 150 m/s from a 2.0 kg air rifle. Using the equation p=mv, the recoil speed of the rifle can be calculated to be -7.5 m/s. However, it should be noted that the mass of the bullet is actually 0.001 kg, resulting in a recoil speed of -1.5 m/s. Despite some small mistakes, the general approach is correct.
jazzysoshort

Homework Statement

Kim holds a 2.0 kg air rifle loosely and fires a bullet of a mass 1.0 g. The muzzle velocity of the bullet is 150 m/s. What is the recoil speed of the rifle?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

p=(150)(.01) 15=2v
p=15 7.5=v

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks correct. Just note that it is -7.5m/s

No, it is not OK. 1.0g is not 0.01kg.

Even assuming it is, 150*0.01 is not 15.

I apologize wasn't what i had on my paper in a bit of rush to see if i was understanding the equation. You are absolutely right 1 g is .001kg and it multiplied by 150 is 1.5, but besides careless errors i just want 2 know am i on the right track

General approach seems to be OK :smile:

1. What is recoil speed?

Recoil speed is the speed at which the rifle moves backwards after firing a bullet.

2. How is recoil speed measured?

Recoil speed is typically measured in feet per second or meters per second using a chronograph. It can also be calculated by measuring the weight of the bullet and the mass of the rifle, and using Newton's third law of motion.

3. What factors affect recoil speed?

The main factors that affect recoil speed are the weight and velocity of the bullet, the mass of the rifle, and the type and amount of gunpowder used in the cartridge.

4. Why is recoil speed important?

Recoil speed is important for several reasons. It can impact the accuracy and control of the rifle, as well as the shooter's comfort and ability to handle the recoil. It can also affect the lifespan of the rifle and its components.

5. Can recoil speed be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce recoil speed, such as using a heavier rifle, using a muzzle brake or recoil pad, or using a lower-powered cartridge. Proper shooting technique and training can also help reduce the effects of recoil.