How Do You Calculate Resistor Values in a Circuit?

• Thread starter shinobi12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary: I is right? In summary, the problem involves a battery with an emf of 15.0 V and a terminal voltage of 11.6 V when delivering 20.0 W of power to an external load resistor R. The goal is to determine the value of R and the internal resistance of the battery. Using Ohm's Law and the equation for power, the value of R can be found by substituting the given values. The internal resistance of the battery can be modeled as a resistor in series with an ideal voltage source. A circuit diagram can be drawn to visualize the setup and the voltage divider principle can be used to solve for R.
shinobi12

Homework Statement

trrttA battery has an emf of 15.0 V. The terminal voltage of the battery is 11.6 V when it is delivering 20.0 W of power to an external load resistor R.
(a) What is the value R?
(b) What is the internal resistance of the battery?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure how to start this problem. I'm sure I get rolling if I can just get some momentum started. Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hopefully these equations will help. If you get stuck just reply.

V = Voltage (Volts)
I = Current (Amps)
R = Resistance (Ohms)
P = Power (Watts)

V = IR (Ohm's Law)

I = V/R (Ohm's Law Rewritten)

P = VI

P = V2/R

P = I2R

Last edited:
Keep in mind, the internal resistance of the battery can be modeled as a resistor in series with an ideal voltage source.

shinobi12 said:

Homework Statement

trrttA battery has an emf of 15.0 V. The terminal voltage of the battery is 11.6 V when it is delivering 20.0 W of power to an external load resistor R.
(a) What is the value R?
(b) What is the internal resistance of the battery?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure how to start this problem. I'm sure I get rolling if I can just get some momentum started. Please Help.

Draw a circuit diagram with the external and internal resistor.
You have a voltage divider there don't you?

And you know Power = I2R

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a physical property of a material that measures its ability to resist the flow of electricity. It is represented by the symbol "R" and is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation R=V/I.

3. What factors affect resistance?

There are several factors that can affect resistance, including the material of the object, its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Generally, materials with high resistance have a longer length, smaller cross-sectional area, and higher temperature.

4. What is the relationship between resistance and current?

According to Ohm's Law, resistance and current have an inverse relationship. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is also known as Ohm's Law.

5. How does resistance impact electrical circuits?

Resistance is an important factor in electrical circuits as it can affect the flow of current and the amount of voltage needed to overcome the resistance. High resistance can lead to a drop in voltage and a decrease in current flow, while low resistance can cause an increase in current flow and potential damage to the circuit.