What is the Result of this Partial Derivative

In summary: In other words, at any x, how does dx/dt vary as x varies? This is a measure of how "bumpy" the velocity distribution is, i.e. how much variation there is in the speed of particles/sections of thread at different x values.So the answer to your question is that it is not generally zero.In summary, the result of this kind of partial differentiation is not generally zero and it measures the variation of velocity along a line of particles or elastic thread along the x axis, indicating how "bumpy" the velocity distribution is.
ecastro
What is the result of this kind of partial differentiation?

\begin{equation*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)
\end{equation*}

Is it zero?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
ecastro said:
What is the result of this kind of partial differentiation?

\begin{equation*}
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\right)
\end{equation*}

Is it zero?

Thank you in advance.
Out of context it means nothing. A partial derivative means changing the indicated variable while keeping some other variable(s) constant. Usually it is obvious what those other variables are. In a 3D coordinate system partial wrt one coordinate implies keeping the other two constant.
You need to provide a context for the expression.

I apologize for the missing context. For example, ##x## signifies position and ##t## as time.

ecastro said:
I apologize for the missing context. For example, ##x## signifies position and ##t## as time.
In that case I assume that partial wrt x means other spatial coordinates are held constant, but what is the significance of the partial wrt to t? What is being held constant there? I.e., why is it not just dx/dt?

Anyway, interpreting it as dx/dt:
Consider some line of particles or elastic thread along the x axis. If we take x as the location of some element at time t, we can ask how quickly it is moving along the x axis: dx/dt. The answer may be different for different points along the line, i.e. at different x values.
We could then ask how rapidly this velocity changes as we look along the line. This is the velocity gradient, ##\frac d{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}##.

Last edited:

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you first need to identify the variable you are differentiating with respect to. Then, you treat all other variables as constants and take the derivative of the function with respect to the chosen variable.

3. What is the result of a partial derivative?

The result of a partial derivative is a new function that represents the rate of change of the original function with respect to the chosen variable. This new function is called the partial derivative of the original function.

4. What does the result of a partial derivative tell us?

The result of a partial derivative tells us how much the original function changes with respect to the chosen variable. It can also provide information about the slope and direction of the function at a specific point.

5. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They allow us to analyze how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a function, making them useful in solving optimization problems and understanding complex systems.