What is the simplest explanation of how a transistor works?

In summary, transistors and FETs act as valves, controlling the flow of current between pins through a small base current. This is similar to how vacuum tubes or "valves" work, which were commonly used before transistors were invented. The same principle is used in computers to perform calculations. Vacuum tubes are still preferred by some audiophiles due to their unique signal processing, but only when in overload.
Meatbot
Just curious. For some odd reason, I don't seem to get it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How simple do you want?
In the simplest terms it acts like a (water/gas) valve - a small current into the base is used to control how much of a much bigger current flows between the other two pins.

In a junction transistor the base current provides electrons which diffuse into the thin electron poor base region and allow it to conduct.
In a FET the field in the depletion region changes it's conductance and allows a bigger current to flow.

mgb_phys said:
How simple do you want?
In the simplest terms it acts like a (water/gas) valve - a small current into the base is used to control how much of a much bigger current flows between the other two pins.
Perfect. Thanks.

That's why the glass things, used before transistors were invented, were called valves - because they worked exactly like a tap/faucet.

This is also the property that is used in a computer.
Power on main input + power on small input = power on output.
But power on only one of main pin / base pin = no output.
With just this operation, called an AND gate, you can make any other calculation

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
That's why the glass things, used before transistors were invented, were called valves - because they worked exactly like a tap/faucet.

"glass things" -- LOL. AKA "vacuum tubes" :rofl:

Hey, Berkeyboy... remember when the neighbourhood gas stations and drug stores used to have vacuum tube testers so you could figure out why your TV wasn't working? :biggrin:

Danger said:
Hey, Berkeyboy... remember when the neighbourhood gas stations and drug stores used to have vacuum tube testers so you could figure out why your TV wasn't working? :biggrin:

I'm afraid so. I fixed a few friends' TVs using testers like that. Uh, thanks for the reminder about how "experienced" I am, Danger... :redface:

:rofl::rofl:
Don't worry, pal; I'm laughing at you, not with you. :biggrin:

berkeman said:
"glass things" -- LOL. AKA "vacuum tubes" :rofl:
As mgb_phys correctly asserts, they are also commonly called "valves" (coined by Ambrose Fleming, abbreviation for http://www.marconicalling.com/museum/html/events/events-i=39-s=0.html). By the way, those valves work as perfectly today, as they did back in Danger's day.:wink:

I recently restored a broadcast receiver that uses several valves. It sounds great across the AM and SW bands and looks a lot like http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/Magnav1.htm .

Last edited by a moderator:
I described them as glass tubes because if the op didn't know how a transistor works they are unlikely to have heard of vacuum tubes.
Is valves only a British term - are they known as tubes in the US?

mgb_phys said:
Is valves only a British term - are they known as tubes in the US?
That is my understanding..

We Canuks recognize either term, although 'tubes' is far more common.
Most serious audiophiles pay a lot of extra bucks for a vacuum tube amplifier as opposed to a solid-state one. There's a bit of ambiguity to the signal processing that gives a really rich, warm texture to the music. Sometimes 'high-fidelity' can be too high and ruin the experience.

Tube/Valve amps go into saturation in a very different way to transistors - so it makes a big difference with stage amps, especially 60s era guitar amps.
Sony used to make a redicoulsy expensive home theatre amp that used DSPs to simulate Valve amps - you could select the exact model of valve amp and it would distort in the same way. Pink floyd confirmed their nerd band image by designing a valve ADC pre-amp to record the CD of their last live album.
Of course it only applies to amps when they are in overload so a class A valve amp shouldn't sound any different to a transistor class A.

Ouabache said:
As mgb_phys correctly asserts, they are also commonly called "valves" (coined by Ambrose Fleming, abbreviation for http://www.marconicalling.com/museum/html/events/events-i=39-s=0.html). By the way, those valves work as perfectly today, as they did back in Danger's day.:wink:

I recently restored a broadcast receiver that uses several valves. It sounds great across the AM and SW bands and looks a lot like http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/Magnav1.htm .

:yay: ooops, no :yay: smilie... ho hum.

That Magnavox has got a magic eye!

We had an old Murphy radio (a uk radio manufacturer long out of business, famed for various off the wall designs, like the single valve self oscillating line output on a tv) when I was a kid that had the same kind of magic eye.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a transistor function as a switch?

A transistor works by using an input voltage to control the flow of current between its two other terminals. When a small current is applied to the base terminal, it allows a larger current to flow between the collector and emitter terminals. This creates an "on" or "off" state, acting as a switch.

2. What materials are used to make a transistor?

Transistors are typically made from semiconducting materials such as silicon or germanium. These materials have properties that allow for the controlled flow of electric current.

3. How does a transistor amplify an electrical signal?

A transistor amplifies a signal by using a small input current to control a larger output current. This is achieved through the use of a bias voltage and the transistor's structure, which allows for the amplification of the input signal.

4. What is the difference between a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) and a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET)?

The main difference between these two types of transistors is their structure and how they function. A BJT uses both electron and hole carriers to control the flow of current, while a MOSFET uses only one type of carrier (either electrons or holes). Additionally, the BJT has three terminals (base, collector, and emitter) while a MOSFET has four terminals (gate, drain, source, and body).

5. How has the transistor impacted modern technology?

The invention of the transistor revolutionized the field of electronics and has had a huge impact on modern technology. Transistors are used in a wide range of devices such as computers, televisions, smartphones, and more. They have allowed for smaller, faster, and more efficient electronic devices, leading to the development of new technologies and industries.