What is the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices

In summary, the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices that contains all symmetric and lower-triangular matrices is the trivial subspace consisting of the 3x3 null-matrix. The largest subspace contained in both of those subspaces is also the trivial subspace.
EvLer
I want to confirm something:

what is the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices that contains all symmetric matrices and lower triangular matrices?
- identity(*c)? because that is the only symmetric lower triangular i could think of...

what is the largest subspce that is contained in both of those subspaces?
- identity (*c)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If, by 'small subspace', you mean the number of elements in the basis, then the first answer seems right. As for the second one, consider the case when all the diagonal elements are different. What is the dimension of that subspace?

Edit: amof, the first one is not correct. Hint: which element belongs to every subspace? Consider that subspace.

Last edited:
3? since that subspace is spanned by 3 basis column vectors?
oh, so now there is no restriction on what is subspace spanned by: in first case it had to be 3x3 matrices and now it's just vectors, is this correct to say?

EvLer said:
3? since that subspace is spanned by 3 basis column vectors?
oh, so now there is no restriction on what is subspace spanned by: in first case it had to be 3x3 matrices and now it's just vectors, is this correct to say?

First of all, matrices are vectors, since they are elements of a vector space. Second, an element of a basis is, of course, an element of the vector space considered, so your basis has to consist of 3x3 matrices. Look at the 3x3 null-matrix. Is it symmetric? Is it lower-triangular?

ok i see...
so,for the first one it is zero matrix and identity;
for the second one the answer is still the same... or am I missing something?

EvLer said:
ok i see...
so,for the first one it is zero matrix and identity;

What do you mean by 'zero matrix and identity' ? The trivial subspace consists only of the zero matrix, and has dimension 0.

EvLer said:
for the second one the answer is still the same... or am I missing something?

Correct. The basis consists of three matrices.

radou said:
What do you mean by 'zero matrix and identity' ? The trivial subspace consists only of the zero matrix, and has dimension 0.
it says "ALL", what do I make of that? that's why I included identity even though it says "smallest"... or how should I understand this in english?
radou said:
Correct. The basis consists of three matrices.

3 3x3?

sorry, I am trying to understand how to look at these problems...

EvLer said:
it says "ALL", what do I make of that? that's why I included identity even though it says "smallest"... or how should I understand this in english?

The trivial substace, consisting of a 3x3 null-matrix, is the smallest subspace of the vector space of all symmetric and lower-triangular 3x3 matrices, since it contains only one element, the 3x3 null-matrix, which satisfies both of your conditions. You should look at the vector space axioms once again. The null-vector (in this case, the null-matrix of order 3) is an element of every vector space. Further on, the trivial subspace is the subspace of every vector space (since it is a subset of every set consisting of the elements of the vector space and since this 'small' subspace is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, which is trivial to show).

I thought you were asking for the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices consisting of all the 3x3 symmetric and lower-triangular matrices. Every matrix can be written as the sum of a symmetric and lower-triangular matrix, so there is no such proper subspace.

Last edited:

What is the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices?

The smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices is the one-dimensional subspace, also known as a line in three-dimensional space.

How is the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices determined?

The smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices is determined by finding the lowest dimension of the subspace that contains all possible combinations of the basis vectors.

Is the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices unique?

Yes, the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices is unique as it is determined by the dimension of the subspace, which is the same for all possible combinations of basis vectors.

What is the basis for the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices?

The basis for the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices consists of three linearly independent vectors, which can be any combination of the standard basis vectors (i,j,k) or any other non-zero vectors in three-dimensional space.

How does the size of the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices affect its properties?

The size of the smallest subspace of 3x3 matrices affects its properties as it determines the number of basis vectors and the dimension of the subspace, which in turn affects its linear independence and span.