What is the speed of dark? (space)

In summary, darkness is defined as the absence of light and therefore has a speed of 0. However, due to the Uncertainty Principle, its speed can be greater than that of light since it carries no energy or information. The concept of darkness is relative and can be affected by the vacuum flux in space.
Blair
My question is what is the speed of dark?

Does space the black of space have a speed?

Many Thanks
Blair Styles

Physics news on Phys.org
darkness is the absense of light
so in that aspect it always everywhere, but can't be added or removed faster than c.

try c...

k

Chronos said:
try c...
c can change
what i was saying given the speed of c in the environment darkness is limited by it.

or you could say that darkness is instantious and that light is just in the way of it but it is there its just that photons are blocking it and that when they are gone it is instnatly there.

Darkness is the abscence of light, therefore the speed of darkness is the speed it arrives, therefore the same as the speed of the departure of light. The speed of darkness = the speed of light

Tom McCurdy said:
c can change

c, the speed of light in vacuum, is a fundamental constant of nature, to wit 299.792.458 m/s precisely (because it defines the meter). So it cannot change. The speed of light in a can change though depending on the medium.

It depnds what you mean by the 'speed of dark as it could be interpreted in sevral ways. For example there is no limit on the coordinate velocity of a shadow.

da_willem said:
c, the speed of light in vacuum, is a fundamental constant of nature, to wit 299.792.458 m/s precisely (because it defines the meter). So it cannot change. The speed of light in a can change though depending on the medium.

So you're the one that has found the "precise" speed of light in a vacuum. I look foward to reading your papers. I'm espically interested in how you created a perfect vacuum to test it. Maybe you should have said the aproximate speed of light in a vacuum is ...and what's this part about it defining the meter?

The speed of darkness is 0. It does not move, travel, or propigate in any way. It may appear that way, and the comments saying it is relative to the speed of light seem consistant with our observations. One might ask what is the speed of no electricity in a conductor.

Last edited:
when I said c changes it was assumed i meant in accordance with differnt mediums

It's really just a matter of notation but c is the value of the speed of light in vacuum. So it's better to say, the speed of light (not c) is different for different media.

About the speed of light in a vacuum; it is exactly 299792458 m/s because it is the definition of the meter. A meter is the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299792458 second. So If the speed of light in vacuum turns out to be a little different than previously measured this changes the distance of one meter and not the constant c!

GOD__AM said:
So you're the one that has found the "precise" speed of light in a vacuum. I look forward to reading your papers. I'm espically interested in how you created a perfect vacuum to test it. Maybe you should have said the aproximate speed of light in a vacuum is ...and what's this part about it defining the meter?

The speed of darkness is 0. It does not move, travel, or propigate in any way. It may appear that way, and the comments saying it is relative to the speed of light seem consistant with our observations. One might ask what is the speed of no electricity in a conductor.

My next question is based on the statement that you said "The speed of darkness is 0".
My question is if this is true then what about a black hole's does it move in space if the answer is yes then i must ask again.
What is the speed of dark?

"Dark" is not a well-defined physical concept, so this thread cannot possibly be anything but philosophical. I am thus moving it.

- Warren

chroot said:
"Dark" is not a well-defined physical concept, so this thread cannot possibly be anything but philosophical. I am thus moving it.

- Warren

Thank you for moving my post i was unable to define my question as to ascertaining the right place to ask if space can be used as a form of energy by using the sound from a planet to generate enough power to start a black hole thus traveling in time.

Many Thanks
Blair Styles
11:11

Darkness is a well defined physical concept it is the absense of light, duh! However, the vacuum flux guarantees their will always be some small amount of light as long as there is spacetime. Hence, what we call darkness is relative and obeys the Uncertainty Principle. This means, of course, that it's speed can be greater than that of light, especially since it carries no energy or information.

wuliheron said:
Darkness is a well defined physical concept it is the absense of light, duh! However, the vacuum flux guarantees their will always be some small amount of light as long as there is spacetime. Hence, what we call darkness is relative and obeys the Uncertainty Principle. This means, of course, that it's speed can be greater than that of light, especially since it carries no energy or information.

Space had information in it?
What about planet Earth and the sun they full of information and can also generate energy that energy can be used as power or am i way off?

http://www.planetware.de/octave/sun.html
If the sun makes a sound then that energy must move in space or does space move the energy?

Last edited:
Blair said:
Thank you for moving my post i was unable to define my question as to ascertaining the right place to ask if space can be used as a form of energy by using the sound from a planet to generate enough power to start a black hole thus traveling in time.
Ohhh... well, in that case, this belongs in TD, and you deserve a warning. Personal theories are not welcome here, and you are thus in violation of PF guidelines. This is a science website, not a science fiction website.

- Warren

What is the Speed of Dark? (Space)

The question "What is the speed of dark?" often arises from misconceptions or plays on words. In the context of space and the absence of light, it's essential to clarify that "dark" itself does not have a speed. Instead, we should focus on understanding the speed of light and how it relates to darkness in space.

What is the Speed of Light in Space?

The speed of light in a vacuum, often denoted as "c," is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (or about 186,282 miles per second). This is the fastest speed at which information or energy can travel through space, and it plays a fundamental role in our understanding of the universe. Light from distant stars and galaxies takes time to reach us, and this finite speed of light is why we see objects in space as they were in the past.

How Does the Speed of Light Relate to Darkness in Space?

In the vast expanse of space, darkness prevails when there is an absence of light. The speed of light is relevant because it determines how quickly we receive light from distant celestial objects. When we look at stars or galaxies in the night sky, we are observing light that has traveled vast distances through space before reaching our eyes. Therefore, the concept of the speed of light is intimately linked to our perception of darkness in the cosmos.

Is There Anything Faster Than the Speed of Light?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity, formulated in 1905, postulates that the speed of light is an absolute speed limit in the universe. Objects with mass become increasingly massive as they approach the speed of light, making it impossible to accelerate them to or beyond this limit using conventional means.

Why is the Speed of Light Important in Astronomy and Astrophysics?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics and plays a pivotal role in astronomy and astrophysics. It allows us to measure astronomical distances, understand the age of the universe, and explore the behavior of celestial objects. The study of light from distant stars and galaxies, known as astrophysics, relies heavily on our knowledge of the speed of light to unravel the mysteries of the cosmos.