What is the speed of gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of gravity and its effects on the solar system. According to relativity, gravity travels at the speed of light, so the distance between the sun and Pluto divided by the speed of light would determine the amount of time it takes for Pluto to feel its gravitational force. There is also a discussion on a paper that suggests gravity may be faster than the speed of light, but this is not widely accepted in the scientific community. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of testing the speed of gravity and how it relates to the theory of general relativity. An article and a paper are referenced, with one countering Van Flandern's claims about the speed of gravity.
DARKSYDE
say for instance you drop our sun into the middle of our solar system, how long would it take for pluto to feel its gravitational force.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to relativity, the effects of gravity travel at the speed of light. So take the distance of pluto to the sun and divide by the speed of light and you will get your answer.

I'm not sure where this paper fits in the mainstream interpretation of GR, but I find it to be a compelling case for the theoretical assumption that gravity is at least much much faster than the speed of light:

http://www.metaresearch.org/cosmology/speed_of_gravity.asp

this has to do with the time-lag between the observed position of the Sun (or other body) versus its position within the gravitational calculations being in different positions in space.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Van Flandern paper that SystemTheory linked to is kind of strange. When I first started reading it, it seemed obvious to me that it was crank stuff. Then I noticed that he gave a reference to where it was published in Physics Letters A in 1998. I couldn't believe this, so I looked up the reference, and sure enough, there it was.

The standard interpretation of GR is that low-amplitude disturbances in the gravitational field propagate at c. This prediction is infamously difficult to test experimentally in a model-independent way. The problem is that we don't have any viable competing test-theories that predict any other speed. This page http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch08/ch08.html gives what I think is a standard depiction of the consensus among relativists.

If there were anything seriously wrong with the description of the propagation of gravitational effects as described in GR, then it would be amazing that the rate of gravitational radiation by the Hulse-Taylor pulsar is in such good agreement with experiment. Solar system tests are also in good agreement with GR, although they do not do a good job of making a direct test of propagation at c. What is probably better understood today than in 1998, when Van Flandern got his paper published, is that, as shown by the Kopeikin fiasco, it is not at all easy to get the answer to this question from solar system measurements.

bcrowell,

please correct me if I am wrong.

All verifiable experimental predictions of GR can be obtained within [tex](v/c)^2[/tex] approximation. (The only exception that I know is the radiation energy loss by double pulsars.) With this accuracy GR equations are equivalent to the Einstein-Infeld-Hoffmann Hamiltonian in which gravitational interaction between bodies is represented by instantaneous position-and-momentum-dependent potentials. So, you are right that the idea of gravity as an action-at-a-distance force cannot be disproved so easily.

Eugene.

http://redshift.vif.com"
It says gravitons are virtual photons, cosmological redshift is due to interconversion of graviton energy and photon energy

1. What is the speed of gravity?

The speed of gravity is the speed at which changes in the gravitational field propagate. It is commonly accepted to be the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

2. How was the speed of gravity determined?

The speed of gravity was first estimated by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century through his law of universal gravitation, which described the force of gravity between two objects. However, it was later refined and confirmed to be the speed of light through experiments conducted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

3. Does the speed of gravity vary?

No, the speed of gravity is a constant and does not vary. It is always equal to the speed of light, regardless of the distance between objects or the strength of the gravitational force between them.

4. Can the speed of gravity be faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any physical object can travel. This applies to the speed of gravity as well, as it is a fundamental force of nature.

5. How does the speed of gravity affect our daily lives?

The speed of gravity plays a crucial role in the motion of objects in our daily lives. For example, it determines the trajectory of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system, and it also allows for the transmission of gravitational waves, which help us understand the structure of the universe. However, it is not directly noticeable in our day-to-day activities due to its extremely high speed.