What is the speed of the second ball after the collision?

In summary, speed is the rate at which an object moves and is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. It differs from velocity, which takes into account the direction and displacement of the object. The speed of the second ball after a collision can vary depending on the type of collision and factors such as mass, velocity, and external forces.
Luvs_Mariah_C
A billiard ball traveling at 4.0 m/s has an elastic head-on collision with a billiard ball of equal mass that is initially at rest. The first ball is at rest after the collision. What is the speed of the second ball after the collision?

What equation should i use? Please post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks...but

That shows me the anser, I'm looking for the equation to find the answer myself. Thank you anyways.

Look again.

1. What is the definition of speed?

Speed is the rate at which an object moves. It is typically measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

2. How is the speed of an object calculated?

The speed of an object can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed and velocity are often used interchangeably, but they have distinct meanings. Speed is the rate of motion, while velocity is the rate of motion in a specific direction. Velocity also takes into account the object's displacement, or change in position, whereas speed does not.

4. How does the speed of the second ball after a collision compare to the first ball?

The speed of the second ball after a collision can vary depending on the type of collision and the properties of the two objects involved. In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of kinetic energy, the speed of the second ball will be equal to the speed of the first ball before the collision. In an inelastic collision, where there is some loss of kinetic energy, the speed of the second ball will be less than the speed of the first ball.

5. What factors can affect the speed of the second ball after a collision?

The speed of the second ball after a collision can be affected by a number of factors, such as the mass and velocity of the two objects, the type of collision, and any external forces acting on the objects. The angle at which the two objects collide can also impact the speed of the second ball.