Structure of Molecule Based on Spectra Analysis

• Thread starter Brazen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a given spectra to determine the structure of a compound. The IR spectrum reveals the presence of OH, C-H sp2, C-H sp3, C=C aromatic, and C-O groups. The proton and C13 NMR spectra show the presence of OH, benzene, CH3, CH2, and CH groups, but the exact structure is still uncertain. The 91 fragment is identified as benzene-ch2+ while the 149 fragment is believed to be the complete structure. The 134 fragment and the exact structure are still unknown.
Brazen

Homework Statement

Can someone tell what the structure is by looking at the above spectra?
Here is spectra:
http://i39.tinypic.com/zmjypd.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/wkst91.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the 134 fragment? and what is the structure?

The Attempt at a Solution

I see from IR spectrum that I have OH, C-H sp2, C-H sp3, C=C aromatic, C-O groups.
I see that I have 91, 134, and 149 fragments. I know that 91 is benzene-ch2+ fragment. I don't know what the 134 or 149 fragments are. I know that 149 is actually the whole structure.

Looking at proton and C13 NMR i see that i have OH, benzene, CH3, CH2, CH groups, not sure if i got all of those groups right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the structure is an alcohol, but i'm not sure what the 134 fragment is or the exact structure.

1. What is the purpose of using spectra analysis to determine the structure of a molecule?

Spectra analysis allows us to identify the unique patterns of energy absorption and emission of a molecule, which can provide valuable information about its structure, functional groups, and chemical bonds.

2. How does infrared spectroscopy contribute to determining the structure of a molecule?

Infrared spectroscopy measures the absorption of infrared light by a molecule, which is determined by the vibrational frequencies of its chemical bonds. By analyzing the specific peaks in an infrared spectrum, we can identify the types of bonds present in a molecule and their arrangement.

3. Can ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy be used to determine the structure of a molecule?

Yes, ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy measures the absorption of ultraviolet and visible light by a molecule, which is influenced by the types of electronic transitions that occur within the molecule. This can provide information about the functional groups and electronic structure of a molecule.

4. How does nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy help in determining the structure of a molecule?

NMR spectroscopy measures the magnetic properties of a molecule's nuclei, providing information about the types of atoms present and their connectivity. By analyzing the shifts and splitting patterns in an NMR spectrum, we can determine the structure of a molecule.

5. What are the limitations of using spectra analysis for determining the structure of a molecule?

Spectra analysis can be limited by the purity of the sample, as impurities can interfere with the spectra data. Additionally, it may not always be possible to determine the exact structure of a molecule using spectra analysis alone, and other techniques such as X-ray crystallography may be needed for a complete understanding.