Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the stupidest thing you have done?

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    I tend to do stupid things.When I was a youngster I was driving to work one morning when I took a detour through Tottenham.I parked up and walked to a pub that I visited regularly at weekends.It was only when I saw that the pub was closed that I realised where I should have been.I was late for work. :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This margin is too small to even start the list.

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3

neu

start my Ph.D. It's v.dull

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4
    It's a work in progress.

6. Mar 24, 2009 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I drove a van along the rode just below the treeline - in the foreground - when the spillway was at full flow. In the shot below, it is probably running at < 20%.

I drove on that road almost every day. Being over a half mile across the river from the discharge ramp, even at full flow I thought the only thing making it across the river was intense overspray; no big deal. But once we got into it... WOW!!! I knew that I had made a big mistake. I couldn't back up because the visibility was zero and another car was following me. He had to be as blind as I was.

That road was put in back in the 1930's. The next day, it didn't exist anymore. The entire hillside was down to the bedrock.

lakeoroville.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  7. Mar 24, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I agree with Borek. There aren't enough electrons in the universe to record the stupid things that I've done.

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm on the bandwagon of space cadets, stupid is my middle name, etc.

I don't even know how I'd quantify which particular stupid decision/action was the stupidest

9. Mar 24, 2009 #8
    When I was nine, my family moved to a new house, and they got a new kitchen cabinet set. One of the cabinets was very tall maybe 8 ft, and very narrow, about 2 ft across and 3 ft deep. Not to mention it was heavy. So when it was placed in the hallway temporarily, I noticed that it was slightly open and I could see a manual laying on the bottom inside the cabinet. Great, so I crawled and stuck my head inside when I realized I had tipped the thing. Luckily my dad was nearby screwing in a light bulb and ran to help when the cabinet began to fall. If he were a second too late, my head would have been decapitated as the door of the cabinet began closing on itself. It would have been a perfect guillotine cut.

10. Mar 24, 2009 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If only is was just a little heavier... o:)

11. Mar 24, 2009 #10
    When I was 6, we moved off base and into a real house. We even had a milkman, who I liked very much, after all this man had a seemly endless supply of chocolate milk!
    One day I guess I wanted to see where secret stash of chocolate milk was kept, so while he had his back turned, I climbed up the back of the truck, where all the empty bottles were kept. The truck started to take off, and I got scared and tried to climb down, when CRASH, me and the bottles hit the pavement. He thought he had run me over, the poor man was almost in shock. I was bleeding from a lot of little glass cuts, he handed me to my Mom who promptly passed out.
    After I was all bandaged up and Mom was feeling better, I told them what I had done. Its my only recall of my Father spanking me. And the milkman..heheh he always gave me a little container of chocolate milk.

12. Mar 24, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Jeez, Waht... close call, alright. I'm not sure that I'd consider it stupid, though. A cabinet like that shouldn't tip over just because of a kid crawling into it, and you had no way of anticipating it.

My youngest brother did a lot of stupid things when he was a kid. He survived them all, only to die of cancer at the age of 69. Probably the dumbest stunt was to put a .22 cartridge on a big rock and hit it with a hammer. He spent the rest of his life with that slug in his leg. :rolleyes:

13. Mar 24, 2009 #12
    I do stupid things all the time. It's no big deal. What is upsetting are the stupid things I should've done, but didn't.

One spectacularly stupid thing I did was to drive across the state of Virginia at 120mph in the middle of the night after making up my mind to break up with a girl and not knowing how I was going to tell her. I saw some police lights on the other side of the highway and then I saw them Wayyy behind me. So I pulled over to get some gas and drove the last 50 or so miles into Norfolk at about 80.

Then there was the forklift jousting in the missile magazine. That was always fun. Boredom is a great motivator for stupidity. No wonder why they wanted to keep us busy all the time.

14. Mar 24, 2009 #13

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was young I had a pair of toy metal handcuffs which I had lost the key for. After some experimenting, I realized I could open them when they were closed by simply continuing to push it in the closed direction until one half of the cuff had simply passed through the other half. Great! So I put them on, and tried to push the cuff through... of course, this time my wrist was in the way. We had to call the police who had a skeleton key for toy handcuffs (at least one person was thinking ::rofl: )

15. Mar 24, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Now that sounds like fun!

I hear you. A buddy of mine called me out in my locksmith capacity (after I'd retired) because his son had done the same thing. I had to pick them (but they weren't toy ones). As payment, he gave me the cuffs plus the toy pair that the kid had mistaken them for.

16. Mar 24, 2009 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...um...I used to hitchhike...yikes!

Only had one real problem doing it, though.

But I can't even say the truly stupid thing I did when I was young...gives me shivers just thinking about it.

17. Mar 24, 2009 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I never did any thing stupid, at the time before the event they all seemed harmless.

18. Mar 24, 2009 #17

Danger

Gold Member

But the sum total of human knowledge was so much smaller back then. We youngsters have the experience of our ancient ancestors to guide us.

19. Mar 24, 2009 #18

wolram

Gold Member

So youngster is the new word for the over 60s? amazing how language gets corrupted over time.

20. Mar 24, 2009 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Over 60?! I'll have you know, sir, that I'm younger than your dentures. :tongue:

21. Mar 24, 2009 #20
    Once tried to get a bus ticket from Coventry to London here in england via bus ticket purchased online... not knowing that I had confused 'to' and 'from' on the website and had gotten the ticket for the bus of the opposite direction.

Had to mistakenly wait in the bus stop for an hour more than I should have..until I realised my mistake. doh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook