What is the tension in the cable

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the rescue helicopter is using a cable and harness to lift a man (weight- 822 N) from a capsized boat. The tension in the cable is initially 1.10m/s^2, but decreases as the man is pulled upward.
physicszman
4) A rescue helicopter is lifting a man (weight- 822 N) from a capsized boat by the means of a cable and harness. (a) What is the tension in the cable when the man is given an initial upward acceleration of 1.10m/s^2? (b) What is the tension during the remainder of the rescue when he is pulled upward at constant velocity?

a) The mass of the man is 83.9kg

T = (83.9Kg)(9.80m/s^2+1.10m/s^2)

T = 914.5N

b) It is 822N because the velocity is constant.

5) Three forces act on a moving object. One force has a magnitude of 80.0N and is directed due norht. Another has a magnitude of 60.0N and is directed due west. What must be the magnitude and direction of the third force, such as the object continues to move with constant velocity.

I know how to find the magnitude, but have trouble finding the direction. Someone suggested tan(angle)= x/y. But when I do it out out i get a small number that couldn't possibly be the angle.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You did problem 4 OK.
Originally posted by physicszman

I know how to find the magnitude, but have trouble finding the direction. Someone suggested tan(angle)= x/y. But when I do it out out i get a small number that couldn't possibly be the angle.
Show what you did. (You must have made an error somewhere!)

Hi, thanks for your help.

I think I realized what I did wrong. You have to turn the formula around to solve for just the angle so its

angle = (80N/60N)/tan = 57.2

Do I answer the direction is 57.2 degrees North West?

Do I answer the direction is 57.2 degrees North West?

No, the third force is opposite to the sum of the first two (constant velocity means no net force).

Also, 57.2 degrees is not the arctangent of 4/3 (=80/60). I don't know what you did to get that angle.

By the way, you have to be careful to specify the reference angle. Is it 57.2 degrees from the north axis, or the west axis, or what?

angle = (80N/60N)/tan = 57.2

Thats how I got the previous answer. How do I calculate it the right way?

And I guess it would be from the X axis since the y-component of the force is greater.

Last edited:
Originally posted by physicszman angle = (80N/60N)/tan = 57.2

What does that even mean? tan of what? tan isn't a variable, it's a function. And why are you dividing by it? That doesn't make mathematical sense.

tan(angle) = (y/x)
angle = arctan(tan(angle)) = arctan(y/x)

And I guess it would be from the X axis since the y-component of the force is greater.

Yes, it's measured clockwise from the negative-x (west) axis.

Last question..

So what do I do with the 4/3 take the "arctan" of it?

Thanks

So what do I do with the 4/3 take the "arctan" of it?

You use the arctangent function on your calculator.

53.1 degrees from west axis. I hope this sounds right. Thanks again for all your help!

Originally posted by physicszman
53.1 degrees from west axis.

Yes, that's for the sum of the first two forces. Remember that the third force is opposite to that (53.1 degrees south of the east axis).

1. What is tension in a cable?

Tension in a cable refers to the force that is applied to the cable when it is stretched or pulled. It is also known as the pulling force or the force of tension.

2. How is tension in a cable calculated?

Tension in a cable can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the cable.

3. What factors affect the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable can be affected by various factors such as the amount of force applied, the weight of the object being supported by the cable, and the angle at which the cable is being pulled.

4. Why is tension important in cables?

Tension is important in cables because it determines the strength and stability of the cable. Too much or too little tension can cause the cable to fail and potentially lead to accidents or damage.

5. How can tension in a cable be controlled?

Tension in a cable can be controlled by adjusting the force applied, using different materials or thicknesses for the cable, and ensuring that the cable is properly anchored and supported.