What is the tension in the rope that connects the tugboat

In summary: Just out of curiosity, how did you solve it? Since it appeared you were not quite on track?I looked at the equations and used the Drag Formula to find T.
emily081715

Homework Statement

A tugboat pulls two barges down the river. The barge connected to the tugboat, carrying coal, has an inertia of 2.0 × 105 kg, and the other barge, carrying pig iron, has an inertia of 3.1 × 105 kg.The resistive force between the coal barge and the water is 8.0 × 103 N, and the resistive force between the pig iron barge and the water is 1.0 × 104 N . The common acceleration of all three boats is 0.40 m/s2. Even though the ropes are huge, the gravitational force exerted on them is much smaller than the pulling forces.What is the tension in the rope that connects the tugboat to the coal barge?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F=( 2.0x10^5)(0.4)- 8.0x10^3
= 7200N

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your reasoning. (You should get used to explaining your work as you go.)

Simon Bridge said:
Please show your reasoning.
i though my reasoning was pretty straight forward on why i approached it that way.the tension would be on the rope (or whatever is pulling it) in between the tug boat and the coal boat. this would make the mass 2.0x10^5 by the acceleration of the whole system (0.4) yet you'd need to account for water resistance on that boat which is 8.0 × 10^3 N

Does the tug boat connect to the coal barge and the coal barge to the other barge? Or is each barge connected to the tug boat by its own rope?

emily081715 said:
i though my reasoning was pretty straight forward on why i approached it that way.the tension would be on the rope (or whatever is pulling it) in between the tug boat and the coal boat. this would make the mass 2.0x10^5 by the acceleration of the whole system (0.4) yet you'd need to account for water resistance on that boat which is 8.0 × 10^3 N
what step and i missing

TomHart said:
Does the tug boat connect to the coal barge and the coal barge to the other barge? Or is each barge connected to the tug boat by its own rope?
i assumed that the coal barge is connected to the tugboat. and other barge connect to the coal. sort of like a train. but the question didn't say

emily081715 said:
i assumed that the coal barge is connected to the tugboat. and other barge connect to the coal. sort of like a train. but the question didn't say

Thank you. That's what I suspected also.

TomHart said:
Thank you. That's what I suspected also.
i'm not sure if that's the correct way to interpret it though

You have assumed there are only two forces acting on the barge - is that a sound assumption?
Aren't there two ropes from the coal barge? Doesn't the pig-iron barge pull on it?

Have you sketched the situation described?
Have you drawn a free body diagram for the barge?

yes I've sketched and drawn free body diagrams, would the other rope attached to the coal barge be creating a force of friction too? meaning my solution would need to look something more like
T=( 2.0x10^5)(0.4)- (8.0x10^3+3.1 × 105 )
=-238000N

emily081715 said:
yes I've sketched and drawn free body diagrams, would the other rope attached to the coal barge be creating a force of friction too? meaning my solution would need to look something more like
T=( 2.0x10^5)(0.4)- (8.0x10^3+3.1 × 105 )
=-238000N

Let's take another look.
The forces on the coal boat are:
  1. +T - the unknown force that the tug boat exerts.
  2. -8.0 × 103 N - the drag on the coal boat.
  3. -1.0 × 104 N - the drag on the pig iron boat, which is transmitted through the rope.
  4. -3.1 × 105 kg × 0.4 m/s2 - the required force to accelerate the pig iron boat by 0.4 m/s2, also transmitted through the rope.
Summing it up, what will T be?

I like Serena said:
Let's take another look.
  3. -1.0 × 104 N - the drag on the pig iron boat, which is transmitted through the rope.
  4. -3.1 × 105 kg × 0.4 m/s2 - the required force to accelerate the pig iron boat by 0.4 m/s2, also transmitted through the rope.
i already solved it on my own

emily081715 said:

Just out of curiosity, how did you? Since it appeared you were not quite on track?

Likes Simon Bridge
I like Serena said:
Let's take another look.
#3 and #4 needs to be justified.
The best-practise is to do the free body diagram for the pig-iron boat as well, then solve the system of simultaneous equations you get... remembering what I told you (probably you, certainly I've told @emily081715 ) in other threads how you should do all the algebra using symbols first, then plug the numbers into the final equation.

emily said:
Well done - please share so other people will benefit from the insights you gained.

IMG_7728.JPG

Likes I like Serena
It goes like this then:

fbd for coal barge: T2<----fc<----[mc]---->T1
(1) ##T_1 - T_2-f_c = m_ca ## (fc is the drag on barge c)

fbd for pig-iron barge fp<---[mp]--->T2
(2) ##T_2 - f_p = m_pa##

Strategy: solve for ##T_2## in (2) and sub into (1).

##T_2 = m_pa + f_p## ...
##T_1 - (m_pa + f_p) - f_c = m_ca \implies T_1 = (m_c+m_p)a + (f_c+f_p)##
... which is what you got. Well done.
It's pretty much what you did - you just put the fbd's next to each other where I put them in a list.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created when an object is pulled or stretched. It is a type of force that is exerted on an object in a specific direction, usually along a rope or cable.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a device called a tension meter, which is designed to accurately measure the amount of force being applied to a rope or cable.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by several factors, including the amount of force being applied, the length and thickness of the rope, and the type of material the rope is made of. Other factors such as temperature and external forces can also impact the tension in a rope.

4. Why is it important to know the tension in a rope?

Knowing the tension in a rope is important because it can help determine the maximum weight or load that the rope can safely support. It is also important for ensuring the stability and safety of structures that rely on tension, such as suspension bridges.

5. How is tension in a rope calculated?

The tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension in newtons, F is the force being applied to the rope in newtons, and L is the length of the rope in meters. This formula assumes that the rope is in a state of equilibrium, with no acceleration or movement.