What is the top physics schools in Canada?

In summary, the conversation discusses the top physics schools in Canada for both undergrad and graduate studies, with a focus on the University of Toronto and engineering physics. The speaker also expresses interest in studying a variety of physics fields, particularly astrophysics and quantum theory, and has a passion for developing propulsion systems based on non-conventional means.
singleton
I'm curious what the top physics schools in Canada are for both undergrad and graduate studies.

I'm considering the University of Toronto--is this a great physics school?

So confused on physics vs some form of engineering heh. Right now I'm a programmer and I love coding but I'd enjoy higher education.

Personally I think, for myself, studies in physics would be more rewarding. I love reading about physics even if its just lay material right now. Ideally I'd make my money in programming but physics would be a lifelong hobby ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any particular field in physics that you enjoy most? I know Laurier has an excellent program for Photonics, though Macmaster might be better. (Photonics/Optics is an awesome field, and if I had the money and was better at math I think I’d go there). Actually, if you like both engineering too check out this page for Macmaster’s undergrad programs in engineering physics: http://engphys.mcmaster.ca/undergraduate/programmes.htm
Other than that, I'm not sure what school is the best for physics. Check out this link: http://www.iyp.org/vp/physics.html#canadian

If you are considering engineering, Waterloo is one of the best for sure. :smile:

When are you planning on starting university? You'll probably change your mind as to what you want to do at least a dozen times between now and then. :tongue2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I never knew about Laurier having good photonics. My sister went there and just graduated like a month ago--very nice little school. Thanks for sharing that!

I'm actually 21 right now, almost 22 so I've put off university long enough heh. I'm planning to apply around December for the year that starts Fall 2005.

As for which field--I really don't know :( I'm not educated on physics enough to know which area I'd enjoy studying. Preferably I could take undergraduate studies that would allow me to look at a breadth of areas from astrophysics to quantum theory, light, and more! If I could then find my passion and pursue it to a masters that'd be great.

Mostly I've been thinking about the greater picture of the universe lately and developing propulsion systems based on non-conventional means. Those are really what interests me right now I guess you could say.

1. What criteria are used to determine the top physics schools in Canada?

There are several factors that are commonly used to determine the top physics schools in Canada. These include the quality of the faculty, the research opportunities available, the resources and facilities offered, the student-to-faculty ratio, and the overall reputation of the school.

2. How do Canadian physics schools compare to international schools?

Canadian physics schools are highly regarded internationally and many rank among the top institutions in the world. They offer a high-quality education and research opportunities on par with other top physics schools around the globe.

3. Can you provide a list of the top physics schools in Canada?

There are several ranking systems that list the top physics schools in Canada, and the specific order may vary. Some of the top schools that are consistently listed include the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University, and University of Waterloo.

4. Are there any specific provinces or regions in Canada known for having top physics schools?

While there are top physics schools located throughout Canada, there are some provinces and regions that are known for having a higher concentration of these institutions. Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec are all home to several highly ranked physics schools.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of top physics schools in Canada?

Graduates of top physics schools in Canada have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They can pursue careers in research, academia, industry, and government. Some common job titles for physics graduates include physicist, research scientist, data analyst, and engineering consultant.