What is the unit ni/sec and how does it relate to distance and speed?

• Thread starter rachelleteo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation discusses the unit "ni/sec" and its possible meaning in a physics problem. Some suggest it may be a typo for "m/sec" or "mi/sec" while others joke it could be a new unit created by the "knights who say ni." Ultimately, it is determined that the question is most likely referring to "m/sec" and the problem is trivial. However, there is a possibility that it could be "in/sec" and involve a conversion from inches to meters.
rachelleteo
what is the unit ni/sec??

hi...
someone had ask me what is the unit ni/sec means? and i search through the net but i can't find it. i found something like grams Ni/sec but this Ni=Nickel. and i also came across the below:
"You are traveling at a speed of 15 ni/sec. Your destination is 315 metersaway. How long will it be before you arrive at your destination?"

so can anyone help me and let me know if you know what actually is ni/sec??

many thanks.
rachelle

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Where did u see such problem...?If it's a book,doesn't it have a table of units and conversions to SI-mKgs...?
2.It may be a typo in the book.Perhaps it's "mi" apud "miles"...:wink:
3.Rats,i cannot think of another reasonable explanation...

Daniel.

Maybe it's just m/s. Sometimes, a written 'm' might be mistaken for an 'ni'.

That's a typo. There is no other possible explanation. The question is physics 10 level.

Edit: And you can be pretty sure it isn't a typo for miles! 15 mi/s the person will be there in like .05 seconds!

:rofl:

It's a new unit created by the knights who say..."ni!" (sorry...heheh)

You're right,Cepheid,there are horses which can sustain 15m/s on 315m...

Daniel.

It could be someone who had a fit of dyslexia. Perhaps they menat in/sec?

It would make much more sense in/hour...Trust me :tongue2:

Daniel.

i don't know if it was typo... but i did not get from any textbook, so i could not refer to any tables... i got the question from this link: http://students.resa.net/taylorjfk/teacher/scidepartment/mackson/macksonquiz.htm
the last question...
and haha... 15 miles/sec?? it's like flashing pass...

Last edited by a moderator:
"6.You are traveling at a speed of 15 ni/sec. Your destination is 315 metersaway. How long will it be before you arrive at your destination? (3 points)"

It would assume that "m/sec" was intended since the distance is given in meters. Of course, that makes the problem trivial. It is possible that "in/sec" was intended and the problem is really to convert from inches to meters (or vice-versa).

What is the unit ni/sec?

The unit ni/sec is a measurement of the rate of change of the number of particles in a substance. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to measure the rate of radioactive decay, as well as the rate of chemical reactions.

How is ni/sec calculated?

Ni/sec is calculated by dividing the change in the number of particles by the change in time. It is represented by the formula ni/sec = (ni2 - ni1) / (t2 - t1), where ni is the number of particles and t is time.

Is ni/sec a standard unit of measurement?

No, ni/sec is not a standard unit of measurement in the International System of Units (SI). However, it is commonly used in scientific research and can be converted to SI units such as per second (s-1).

Can ni/sec be negative?

Yes, ni/sec can be negative if the number of particles is decreasing over time. This is often seen in radioactive decay processes where the number of particles decreases as they decay into other elements.

What is the difference between ni/sec and ni/hr?

The main difference between ni/sec and ni/hr is the unit of time used in the calculation. Ni/sec measures the rate of change of particles per second, while ni/hr measures the rate of change of particles per hour. They can be converted to each other by using the appropriate conversion factor.