What is the velocity of light in uniformly rotating frame?

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of light in a frame of reference with uniform angular velocity with respect to another frame. It is mentioned that according to the postulate of Special Theory of Relativity, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant in all inertial frames. However, in a non-inertial frame with uniform angular velocity, the speed of light can vary. The conversation also touches upon the Earth's rotation and how it affects the measurement of the speed of light.
pallab
S'-frame of reference has uniform angular velocity with respect to the frame S. what is the velocity of light in S frame w.r.t S' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
pallab said:
S'-frame of reference has uniform angular velocity with respect to the frame S. what is the velocity of light in S frame w.r.t S' ?
What are your thoughts? What are the Relevant Equations? Is this for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
What are your thoughts? What are the Relevant Equations? Is this for schoolwork?
NO.
My friend asked me this question.but I don't know about GTR.I studied STR .According to postulate speed of light in vacuum is same in all inertial frames.But a frame with uniform angular velocity is not inertial frame and the speed of light which has same value not the velocity.

pallab said:
NO.
My friend asked me this question.but I don't know about GTR.I studied STR .According to postulate speed of light in vacuum is same in all inertial frames.But a frame with uniform angular velocity is not inertial frame and the speed of light which has same value not the velocity.
Start with something easy. What is the speed of Proxima Centauri (4.2 light years from earth) in a frame of reference anchored to the rotating earth?

jbriggs444 said:
Start with something easy. What is the speed of Proxima Centauri (4.2 light years from earth) in a frame of reference anchored to the rotating earth?
when the Earth approaches toward the Proxima Centauri its speed is more than the speed ,when Earth moves away from it,like the Earth's movement around the sun.

pallab said:
when the Earth approaches toward the Proxima Centauri its speed is more than the speed ,when Earth moves away from it,like the Earth's movement around the sun.
The Earth's velocity around the Sun is trivial. Ignore it. Forget about the Sun entirely.

The Earth is rotating once every 24 hours [approximately]. You anchor a frame of reference to it at this rotation rate. How does Proxima Centauri move from the point of view of this reference frame?

pallab said:
speed of light in vacuum is same in all inertial frames.But a frame with uniform angular velocity is not inertial frame
This is the key point. The speed of light is not limited in a non-inertial frame. It can be arbitrarily large or small.

The shortest totally correct answer is it depends on how you set up your rotating frame. Of specific interest is how you synchronize clocks in your "frame".

jbriggs444 said:
The Earth's velocity around the Sun is trivial. Ignore it. Forget about the Sun entirely.

The Earth is rotating once every 24 hours [approximately]. You anchor a frame of reference to it at this rotation rate. How does Proxima Centauri move from the point of view of this reference frame?
v=2πR/T
now for Earth T=86400 sec.
and R=4.2 light years i.e. (9.46*1015)*4.2
so,v=2.8*1012 m/s , >c

Likes jbriggs444

What is the velocity of light in a uniformly rotating frame?

The velocity of light in a uniformly rotating frame is constant and always the same as the speed of light in a non-rotating frame, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum.

Does the velocity of light change in a rotating frame?

No, the velocity of light does not change in a rotating frame. This is one of the fundamental principles of physics, known as the principle of relativity.

How does the velocity of light behave in a rotating frame?

The velocity of light behaves in the same way in a rotating frame as it does in a non-rotating frame. It always travels at the same speed and in a straight line, regardless of the motion of the observer or the rotation of the frame.

Why is the velocity of light constant in a rotating frame?

The constancy of the velocity of light in a rotating frame is a consequence of the special theory of relativity. This theory states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, and the speed of light is a fundamental constant that cannot be exceeded.

Can the velocity of light be greater than the speed of light in a rotating frame?

No, the velocity of light cannot be greater than the speed of light in any frame of reference. This is a fundamental principle of physics, and any attempt to exceed the speed of light would violate the laws of relativity.