How can Eldar toss an apple to Rahwa at the top of a steep hill?

• Thread starter camherokid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, Eldar and Rahwa are positioned at the bottom and top of a steep hill, respectively. Eldar wants to toss an apple to Rahwa, who is 2.00m away horizontally and 6.00m higher. The apple must be thrown at a velocity and angle that allows it to travel horizontally and be caught at the same height. To solve this problem, relevant equations must be used and the vertical and horizontal velocities must be determined.
camherokid
Eldar is standing at the bottom of a steep hill. Rahwa is at the top of the hill which is 2.00m away horizontally and 6.00m higher than where Eldar is standing. Eldar wants to toss an apple up to Rahwa. Assume that the height above Eldar's feet that he throws the apple is the same height above Rahwa's feet that Rahwa catches the apple. At what velocity (magnitude and direction) should Eldar toss the apple so that it is traveling horizontally when Rahwa catches it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Cam. This is obviously a homework question, so it's in the wrong place.
As a former pitcher, and the only person in my league who throws darts like javelines, I can say that the only thing that works for me is to picture a baby seal at the target area and spear the bugger.

Indeed this sounds like a homework problem. That does not mean we're not going to help you, just that you have to show us some work first.
So start by posting the relevant equations, and preferably some attempt (don't worry if you think it's stupid; if it is, we'll tell you :smile:)

The question ask for velocity and angle...
I know how to find the distance from the start to where it drops if they give me velocity and angle.
But the question in reverse they give the distance and ask for V and angle.
This is my final
-4.9*4/Vox^2 + Voy*2/Vox -6 =o

and Vox = Vo*CosA
Voy = Vo*SinA

How do you find Vo and angle A?

Find the vertical velocity... then find the horizontal velocity. Once you know those you can get magnitude and angle.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a physical quantity that describes the rate at which an object's position changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. In simpler terms, velocity is how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, they have different meanings in physics. Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity also includes the direction of motion. For example, a car traveling at 60 mph has a speed of 60 mph, but if it changes direction, its velocity will also change.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to move that distance. It represents the overall change in position over a certain period of time. On the other hand, instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position with respect to time.

4. How is velocity measured?

In physics, velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s) or other units of distance over time. It can be measured using various instruments such as a speedometer, radar gun, or motion sensors. In laboratory settings, velocity can also be calculated by collecting data on an object's position at different time intervals and using mathematical formulas.

5. What factors affect an object's velocity?

An object's velocity can be affected by several factors, including external forces such as gravity, air resistance, and friction. The mass and shape of an object can also impact its velocity, as well as the surface it is moving on. Additionally, changes in these factors can cause an object's velocity to change over time.