1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the wavelength?

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two sinusoidal waves with equal wavelengths travel along a string in opposite directions at 7.72 m/s. The time between two successive instants when the antinodes are at a maximum height is 0.324 s. What is the wavelength (in m)?

2. Relevant equations
    vt=x
    Also,
    Propagation speed = wavelength * frequency = wavelength / period time

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried many, many different ways to solve this equation but ultimately I keep getting the wrong answer.. Here is one of the attempts:
    The distance between two successive antinodes or two successive nodes is equal to the wavelength of the wave. I figured out the distance based on the speed of the wave and the time between two antinodes with vt = x (since there is no acceleration).
    (7.72)(0.324)= 2.50128 m
    Yet it is not the right answer? Can anyone give me any more insight on what I can do..?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

The question is a bit vague... does it mean both waves are moving at 7.72 m/s in opposite directions? so their relative velocity is 15.44 m/s ? And it seems to suggest standing waves, but it doesn't mention the end points of the string, so really the two waves could have any phase difference.

If I was guessing, I'd say each of the waves is moving at 7.72 m/s so their relative velocity is 15.44 m/s and I'd guess the situation is standing waves caused by the string being fixed at one end. But what do you think? was there more information?

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    Yes! :) I got the answer, the velocity was 15.44 m/s. Thanks!

5. Apr 11, 2012 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

alright, cool

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook