What is the way to determine the current in DC circuit with R,L,C

In summary, when a constant emf is connected to a resistor and an inductor and capacitor in parallel, the initial current through the circuit will be E/R and the voltage across the capacitor and inductor will be 0. This is because the inductor acts as a short circuit at switch on and the current must be continuous, leading to initial oscillations before settling to E/(R+R') in steady state.
tsw99
If I have a constant emf, then connect it to a resistor and an inductor and capacitor in parallel.

At the time when the switch is closed (I haven't drawn it), the voltage across L and across C should be the same since they are in parallel(?) (in fact it should be in any time later)

But there will be an induced emf across L, so the voltage across C should not be zero (but there is no charge on C! By V=Q/C, the voltage should be zero!).

So the initial current should not be E/R right? But from textbook, an uncharged cap should act as a short circuit, so no current passes through L. So what is the way to determine the initial current? (I believe the final current should be E/R because the fully charged cap acts as a open circuit)

I hope you understand what I am asking about.

Attachments

• RLC.JPG
    RLC.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree withe your expression for the final current, the inductance acts a short circuit.
at switch on. Think that L and C will oscillate and eventually setle to your final values

For a physically sensible solution, you can't have a sudden jump in the current through the inductor, because that would generate an "infiinite" back EMF.

So immediately after you close the switch, the current through L must be the same as it was before, i.e. zero. Therefore you have an RC circuit connected to the battery, the initial current through R and C will be E/R, and the initial voltage across the capacitor (and the inductor) will be 0.

The same logic applies if you open the switch again. The current through L can't instantly change its value. Since no current will be flowing in R, for an ideal inductor and capacitor the current in the LC circuit would continue to oscillate for ever.

Of course that would not happen with real components, because there would always be some resistance R' in series with L. In that case, the initial oscillations would decay and leave a steady current of E/(R+ R') flowing through the resistor and the inductor.

1. How do I calculate the current in a DC circuit with resistors, inductors, and capacitors?

The current in a DC circuit with resistors, inductors, and capacitors can be calculated using Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's laws. First, determine the total resistance of the circuit by adding up the individual resistances. Then, use the equation I = V/R to calculate the current, where V is the voltage and R is the total resistance. If the circuit also contains inductors and capacitors, you will need to use the impedance formula Z = √(R² + (ωL - 1/(ωC))²), where ω is the angular frequency of the circuit. Finally, use the equation I = V/Z to calculate the current.

2. How do I know the direction of the current in a DC circuit with R,L,C?

The direction of the current in a DC circuit can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current flow and curl your fingers around the circuit. The direction in which your fingers curl is the direction of the current.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the current in AC circuits?

No, the formula for calculating current in a DC circuit with R,L,C cannot be used for AC circuits. In AC circuits, the current varies with time and is affected by the frequency and phase of the circuit. Therefore, a different formula, using impedance (Z) instead of resistance (R), must be used to calculate the current in AC circuits.

4. How does the presence of inductors and capacitors affect the current in a DC circuit?

Inductors and capacitors can affect the current in a DC circuit by either increasing or decreasing the overall resistance of the circuit. Inductors, which store energy in the form of a magnetic field, have a higher impedance for higher frequencies, causing a lag in the current. Capacitors, which store energy in the form of an electric field, have a lower impedance for higher frequencies, causing a lead in the current.

5. Is there a simpler way to calculate the current in a DC circuit with R,L,C?

There are various methods and techniques that can simplify the calculation of current in a DC circuit with R,L,C. These include using complex numbers to represent the impedance, using phasor diagrams to visualize the current and voltage, and using circuit analysis software to perform the calculations. However, understanding the underlying principles and equations is essential for proper analysis and troubleshooting of DC circuits.