What is the weight of the wretched Bananas in Newtons? I'm so confused

In summary, the weight of the bananas in Newtons is approximately 33.22 N, calculated by multiplying the mass of the bananas (3.39 kg) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This is based on the given values for the spring constant, amplitude, and maximum speed.
riseofphoenix
What is the weight of the wretched Bananas in Newtons? I'm so confused...

Number29.png

Ok so I tried to list out all of the stuff I was given.

Spring constant: k = 16.0 N/m
Amplitude: A = 0.2 m
Maximum speed: v = 0.434 m/s

Maximum Kinetic Energy = Maximum Spring/Potential Energy
(1/2)mv2 = (1/2)kA2
(1/2)(0.4342)m = (1/2)(16)(0.22)
0.094178m = 0.32
m = 3.39 kg

Oh wait I just realized they want it in Newtons...

mg = (3.39)(9.8) = 33.29 = 33.3

Nvm ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

First of all, it's important to clarify that weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, and it is typically measured in Newtons (N). Mass, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of matter in an object and it is typically measured in kilograms (kg). So, the weight of an object will vary depending on its location and the strength of the gravitational field, while its mass will remain constant.

Now, let's apply this to the given information about the bananas.

The spring constant (k) and amplitude (A) are related to the maximum potential energy (U) and maximum kinetic energy (K) of the bananas as follows:

U = (1/2)kA^2
K = (1/2)mv^2

Since the maximum kinetic energy is equal to the maximum potential energy, we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for the mass (m) of the bananas:

(1/2)mv^2 = (1/2)kA^2
m = (kA^2)/v^2

Plugging in the given values for the spring constant (k), amplitude (A), and maximum speed (v), we get:

m = (16)(0.2^2)/(0.434^2)
m = 3.39 kg

So, the mass of the bananas is approximately 3.39 kg.

However, since the question specifically asks for the weight of the bananas in Newtons, we need to multiply the mass by the acceleration due to gravity (g) to get the weight:

Weight = mg = (3.39)(9.8) = 33.22 N

Therefore, the weight of the bananas in Newtons is approximately 33.22 N.

I hope this helps to clear up your confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the weight of the wretched Bananas in Newtons?

The weight of the wretched bananas in Newtons depends on the mass and acceleration due to gravity. The formula for weight is W = m x g, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The weight of the bananas can vary depending on their size, type, and ripeness.

2. How is weight measured in Newtons?

The unit of weight in the International System of Units (SI) is Newtons (N). Weight is determined by multiplying an object's mass by the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

3. Why are the bananas referred to as "wretched" in this question?

The term "wretched" in this context is likely used to convey a sense of frustration or confusion. It could also be a playful or sarcastic way of referring to the bananas.

4. Can the weight of the bananas change?

Yes, the weight of the bananas can change. Weight is affected by an object's mass and the strength of the gravitational force acting on it. For example, if the bananas ripen and lose water weight, their mass will decrease and therefore their weight will also decrease.

5. Why are Newtons used to measure weight instead of pounds or kilograms?

Newtons are used to measure weight because they are a more precise unit of measurement in the SI system. They are also based on fundamental physical constants, making them more universally applicable and accurate. Pounds and kilograms are still used in everyday language, but they are not considered standard units of measurement.