What is the x operator in momentum space?

In summary, the x operator in momentum space is a mathematical representation of a particle's position in a quantum system. It is related to momentum through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and is significant in quantum mechanics as one of the fundamental operators. The x operator is used in calculations by multiplying it with the wave function and can be applied to all quantum systems, though its form may vary.
David Silva
The Hilbert space for a free relativistic particle has inner product (in the momentum representation) $$ \langle \chi | \phi \rangle = \int \frac {d \vec k^3} {(2 \pi)^3 2 \sqrt{\vec k^2 + m^2}} \chi (\vec k) * \phi (\vec k)$$ States undergo time evolution $$i∂t|ψ \rangle = H_0 | ψ \rangle$$ with the Hamiltonian is $$H_0 = \sqrt {\vec p^2 + m^2}$$. Consider the self-adjoint operator, ##\vec x##, which satisfies $$[x^i , p_j ] = i δ^{i}_{j}$$ It can be written in the form $$x^i = i (\frac {\partial} {\partial k_i} + f_i( \vec k))$$ for some real function ##f_i## . What is ##fi(\vec k)##?

So what I have done so far:

I was using regular commutator methods to try and work this out using the dummy function method described in Zettili (eq. 2.310). $$[x^i, p_j] = i(\frac \partial {\partial k_i} + f_i (\vec k)) * k_j - k_j * i(\frac \partial {\partial k_i} + f_i (\vec k)) \\ = i (\frac \partial {\partial k_i} * k_j + i * f_i (\vec k) * k_j - i * k_j * \frac \partial {\partial k_i} + i * k_j * f_i (\vec k) \\ = i * \delta^i_j + i * f_i (\vec k) * k_j - i * k_j * \frac \partial {\partial k_i} - i * k _j* f_i (\vec k) \\ => f_i (\vec k) * k_j - k _j* f_i (\vec k) = k_j * \frac \partial {\partial k_i}$$ I'm stuck at this last part, I don't know how to proceed. Any thoughts? I haven't inserted the dummy function in yet, I wanted to reduce it but my prof said it should come out before I even have to do that but I just don't see what he's talking about.

Physics news on Phys.org

The solution to this problem is not unique. Here is one possible solution:

We have $$[x^i , p_j ] = i \delta^i_j$$

Let's try to find the function ##f_i (k)## that satisfies this condition. We can do this by using the Leibniz rule for derivatives:

$$[x^i , p_j ] = \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial k_j} - \frac{\partial x^j}{\partial k_i}$$

Using the given expression for ##x^i##, we get:

$$i \delta^i_j = \frac{\partial}{\partial k_j} \left(i\frac{\partial}{\partial k_i} + f_i(k)\right) - \frac{\partial}{\partial k_i} \left(i\frac{\partial}{\partial k_j} + f_j(k)\right)$$

Expanding this out and simplifying, we get:

$$i \delta^i_j = \frac{\partial f_i}{\partial k_j} - \frac{\partial f_j}{\partial k_i}$$

This is a set of three equations (one for each value of ##i##) that must be satisfied by the function ##f_i (k)##. These can be solved by inspection. One solution is:

$$f_i (k) = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{ijk} k^j k^k$$

where ##\epsilon_{ijk}## is the Levi-Civita symbol. This solution is not unique, but it satisfies all the conditions that we have imposed so far.

1. What is the x operator in momentum space?

The x operator in momentum space is a mathematical representation of the position of a particle in a quantum mechanical system. It is used to describe the probability of finding a particle at a specific position in space.

2. How is the x operator related to momentum?

The x operator and momentum are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely a particle's position is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known and vice versa. The x operator and momentum are also related through Fourier transform, which describes the conversion between position space and momentum space.

3. What is the significance of the x operator in quantum mechanics?

The x operator is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents one of the fundamental operators that describe the behavior of particles in a quantum system. It is a key component in the Schrodinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.

4. How is the x operator used in calculations?

The x operator is used in calculations by multiplying it with the wave function of a particle in a quantum system. This results in a mathematical representation of the particle's position in space. The x operator is also used in conjunction with other operators, such as the momentum operator, to calculate other properties of a particle in a quantum system.

5. Can the x operator be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the x operator can be applied to all quantum systems, as it is a fundamental operator in quantum mechanics. However, the specific form of the x operator may vary depending on the system and the type of particles being studied.