Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is them Yule like?

1. Dec 23, 2007 #1
    How are your yule celebrations?

Here, the smell of Lutefisk permeates the air. Luckily it isn't compulsory eating, and tomorrow I'll be roasting them pork ribs, with crispy crust (water running in my mouth as I am writing)..

So .. What are the traditional food where you are at?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Turkey with giblet gravy or a ham, pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, a family tradition has always been oyster stew.

4. Dec 23, 2007 #3

turbo

Gold Member

We soaked a turkey in spicy brine last night and roasted it today to give to my father. We'll pack slices of meat for him to freeze for sandwiches later and make him a turkey soup, too. Our celebrations center around food and family, not presents. On Christmas day, we'll have him come here for dinner and we'll do a big pork roast, with baked potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, etc.

5. Dec 23, 2007 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"...On Christmas day, we'll have him come here for dinner and we'll do a big pork roast, with baked potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, etc."

You've got a lucky father turbo-1. Yes, the family is the best part of Christmas.

6. Dec 23, 2007 #5

turbo

Gold Member

We'll also have his favorite dessert - pumpkin pie made from scratch with fresh pie pumpkins. :tongue2:

7. Dec 23, 2007 #6
    Roast pork and noodles, citrus salad and Aebleskiver.

Lol, Lutefisk, the one thing I never wanted to learn how to make. My Grandmother made it every Yule, even the smell of it can make me turn green.

8. Dec 23, 2007 #7
    hypatia:
    Lutefisk was originally a method for making the non-digestive fish "longe" edible. One firstly dried the fish by hanging it on wires or putting it on the cliffs(klippfisk). Then putting the dried fish in caustic soda sollution. After the caustic soda, the fish is "washed" or rinsed with water, to remove any remaining caustic soda. voila! youve got lutefisk :D..

We also have a magnificent dessert: cloudberrys with cream milk and sugar.. :).. actually quite good..

9. Dec 23, 2007 #8
    Ha ha, I've never had Lutefish, but suppose I should someday to live up to my Norwegian ancestry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?