Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this and where do I buy it?

  1. Jun 29, 2013 #1
    I drew an image of something I'm thinking of, but forgot what it was called:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Welcome to Physics Forums, Giwayume.

    The simplest would be a solenoid-based plunger or hammer, etc. The core is either fully out or fully in, usually. Maybe you have something more continuously variable in mind? Something controlled by a stepper motor, maybe?
  4. Jun 29, 2013 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I would assume hydraulic proportioning valves have parts in them that work in this manner somewhat. Just a guess.
  5. Jun 29, 2013 #4


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Perhaps an electrical solenoid with an opposing spring? I don't know how precise that would be though, with stiction of the rod being a factor...
  6. Jun 29, 2013 #5


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

  7. Jun 30, 2013 #6
    Thank you for all the replies, guys! A linear actuator was what I was thinking of, but it's nice to see all the other options available. I think a solenoid plunger is actually a better (and cheaper) solution for my project.
  8. Jun 30, 2013 #7


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

    AH well - that would depend on the particular project. Solenoids tend to need a lot of current if you actually want to operate them 'proportionally'. They are relatively cheap, though and good value for intermittent use.

    If you ask an open type question like this one, you can rely on getting at least half a dozen alternative answers. I think that EE forum contributors are all frustrated (or practising) constructors and leap on any new project for some vicarious enjoyment. :smile:
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook