Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods

• Thread starter UserNameHere
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a device that the speaker is unable to name but has seen before. They describe it as having two straight wires connected to a power source, forming a "V" shape with an electric light traveling up the wires and disappearing at the end. The speaker is unsure of how it works and is seeking to learn more about it. It is commonly known as a Jacob's Ladder and is used for visual entertainment.
UserNameHere
I don't know the name of the object/device, but I have seen them before. I'll try to describe it as best I can, so bare with me. It is made of two straight wires - one to three feet in length - with some sort of power source connected to it. The two wires make a "V" shape with the small end attached to a power source. An "electric light" connecting from one wire to the other travels up the wires until it reaches the end of the two wires and then disappears. (it begins at the small end and grows larger until it reaches the open end) I know this is a terrible description, but I don't know much about it and I would like to learn how it works. All I need to know is what it is called, then I can look it up myself.

Thanks
James

EDIT: The two "wires" are stiff, so they look more like small rods rather than wires.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacob's Ladder

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Based on your description, it sounds like you may be referring to a Jacob's Ladder. A Jacob's Ladder is an electrical device that consists of two vertical metal rods or wires, with a high voltage power source connected to the bottom and a gap between the two rods at the top. When the power is turned on, an electric arc forms at the bottom and travels up the rods, creating a visible "ladder" of electricity. As the arc reaches the top, it disappears and the process repeats. The name comes from the biblical story of Jacob's dream of a ladder reaching to heaven. I hope this helps in your research!

1. What is the purpose of the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods"?

The purpose of the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods" is to provide a source of light using electricity. It typically consists of two rods, one acting as the positive electrode and the other as the negative electrode, with an electric current passing through them to create an electric light.

2. How does the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods" work?

The "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods" works by passing an electric current through the two rods, which are typically made of a conductive material such as metal. The current causes the material to heat up and produce light, similar to how a traditional incandescent light bulb works.

3. What are the benefits of using the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods"?

Some potential benefits of using the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods" include energy efficiency, longer lifespan, and a brighter and more focused light compared to traditional light bulbs. It also does not contain any harmful chemicals, making it a more environmentally friendly option.

4. Can the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods" be used for outdoor lighting?

Yes, the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods" can be used for outdoor lighting. However, it is important to choose a model that is specifically designed for outdoor use and can withstand exposure to the elements.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods"?

As with any electrical device, there are potential safety concerns when using the "Name for Object/Device with Electric Light Between Two Rods". It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for proper use and installation. It is also recommended to have a professional electrician install the device to ensure it is done correctly and safely.