1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this chemical formula of?

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    I had someone double check the link ...it should work

I'm sorry geoffjb, I had a few people double check the link and it works so maybe you were trying while other's were and the FTP site reached it's limit. It should work now though. Thanks again
  5. Nov 8, 2006 #4
    What's giving you trouble? Counting the hydrogens? I presume you can count all the nitrogens and oxygens without trouble. The rest of the "corners" are carbons.

Some work on your behalf is necessary before we help you.
  6. Nov 8, 2006 #5
    I haven't a clue

I'm a 54 year old electrical engineer who hasn't been in school for years so even though I posted this in the homework section I wouldn't even remember how to read a chemical structure beyond a simple one. The only reason I posted it here is because thats where I was told to post it. I rarely get chemical stuff at work but I need to figure this out for work. I know theres 3 carbon atoms, 7 hydrogen atoms, 6 oxygen atoms - 2 of which have double bonds?, 1 nitrogen atom? and one chlorine atom? Thats as far as I get, after that point I don't have a clue what the chemical is.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  7. Nov 8, 2006 #6
    There aren't 3 carbons, there are 21. Thank you for showing some attempt to figure it out.

That molecule is Acemetacin, C21H18ClNO6.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  8. Nov 8, 2006 #7
    Is this an alternate structure for it?

If thats what it is then is this an alternate structure for it? This one looks different and is Acemetacin. I was under the impression that the one I asked about was a petroleum based chemical.
  9. Nov 8, 2006 #8
    Here's a structure I found of acemetacin.

The only difference is the direction from which the carboxylic acid chain is coming off the ring. The image you posted above looks like a geometric isomer.

(Note: If you remove "d:/download/" from the links you're providing, they work for me.)
  10. Nov 8, 2006 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  11. Nov 9, 2006 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?