What is this chemical formula of?

In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help in identifying a chemical structure, specifically the structure of Acemetacin. The conversation included links to images of the chemical structure, as well as attempts by the person to count the number of atoms in the structure. Finally, there was discussion about an alternate structure for Acemetacin and confirmation that both structures provided were indeed Acemetacin.
manhattan1nyc
Can someone tell me what this chemical structure is?

ftp://24.58.188.197/d:/download/chemicalstructure.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
manhattan1nyc said:
Can someone tell me what this chemical structure is?

ftp://24.58.188.197/chemicalstructure.gif[/URL][/QUOTE]
Link doesn't work for me.

Edit: Link corrected to proper format.

I had someone double check the link ...it should work

I'm sorry geoffjb, I had a few people double check the link and it works so maybe you were trying while other's were and the FTP site reached it's limit. It should work now though. Thanks again

manhattan1nyc said:
I'm sorry geoffjb, I had a few people double check the link and it works so maybe you were trying while other's were and the FTP site reached it's limit. It should work now though. Thanks again
What's giving you trouble? Counting the hydrogens? I presume you can count all the nitrogens and oxygens without trouble. The rest of the "corners" are carbons.

Some work on your behalf is necessary before we help you.

I haven't a clue

Geoffjb,

I'm a 54 year old electrical engineer who hasn't been in school for years so even though I posted this in the homework section I wouldn't even remember how to read a chemical structure beyond a simple one. The only reason I posted it here is because that's where I was told to post it. I rarely get chemical stuff at work but I need to figure this out for work. I know there's 3 carbon atoms, 7 hydrogen atoms, 6 oxygen atoms - 2 of which have double bonds?, 1 nitrogen atom? and one chlorine atom? Thats as far as I get, after that point I don't have a clue what the chemical is.

Thanks

manhattan1nyc said:
Geoffjb,

I'm a 54 year old electrical engineer who hasn't been in school for years so even though I posted this in the homework section I wouldn't even remember how to read a chemical structure beyond a simple one. The only reason I posted it here is because that's where I was told to post it. I rarely get chemical stuff at work but I need to figure this out for work. I know there's 3 carbon atoms, 7 hydrogen atoms, 6 oxygen atoms - 2 of which have double bonds?, 1 nitrogen atom? and one chlorine atom? Thats as far as I get, after that point I don't have a clue what the chemical is.

Thanks
There aren't 3 carbons, there are 21. Thank you for showing some attempt to figure it out.

That molecule is Acemetacin, C21H18ClNO6.

Last edited:
Is this an alternate structure for it?

If that's what it is then is this an alternate structure for it? This one looks different and is Acemetacin. I was under the impression that the one I asked about was a petroleum based chemical.

ftp://24.58.188.197/d:/download/acemetacin.gif[/URL]

manhattan1nyc said:
If that's what it is then is this an alternate structure for it? This one looks different and is Acemetacin. I was under the impression that the one I asked about was a petroleum based chemical.

ftp://24.58.188.197/acemetacin.gif[/URL][/QUOTE]
Here's a structure I found of acemetacin.

[url]http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=1981[/url]

The only difference is the direction from which the carboxylic acid chain is coming off the ring. The image you posted above looks like a geometric isomer.

(Note: If you remove "d:/download/" from the links you're providing, they work for me.)

so both of these are definitely acemetecin?

Both of these then are acemetacin?

[PLAIN]ftp://24.58.188.197/d:/download/acemetacin.gif[/URL]

manhattan1nyc said:
Both of these then are acemetacin?

[PLAIN]ftp://24.58.188.197/d:/download/acemetacin.gif[/URL][/QUOTE]
I removed the "d:/download/" from the links for you

[PLAIN]ftp://24.58.188.197/chemicalstructure.gif[/URL]
[PLAIN]ftp://24.58.188.197/acemetacin.gif[/URL]

1. What is the chemical formula of water?

The chemical formula of water is H2O, which means that it is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

2. What is the chemical formula of table salt?

The chemical formula of table salt is NaCl, which means that it is composed of one sodium atom and one chlorine atom.

3. What is the chemical formula of carbon dioxide?

The chemical formula of carbon dioxide is CO2, which means that it is composed of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms.

4. What is the chemical formula of glucose?

The chemical formula of glucose is C6H12O6, which means that it is composed of six carbon atoms, twelve hydrogen atoms, and six oxygen atoms.

5. What is the chemical formula of ammonia?

The chemical formula of ammonia is NH3, which means that it is composed of one nitrogen atom and three hydrogen atoms.