Mystery Creature: Seen on Facebook Video

• Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
In summary, these worms have weird behaviors when they are in high densities. They may be aquatic larvae, and some of the colors they come in may be indicative of their different habitats.
kolleamm
I saw this in a video on facebook, the little things seem to move like worms. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_8726.PNG
    IMG_8726.PNG
    65 KB · Views: 457
Biology news on Phys.org
It also looks like seaweed dragged across the floor on a string.

I could not get the video to run.
However, I've seen worms at high densities show weird behaviors not seen at lower densities.

This is really apparent with small worms, like C. elegans, that are about 1 mm long and about .1 mm (100 µm) or less wide.
You can grow and concentrate them to high densities.
They can be very active, squirming around rapidly.
They also seem to stick together, maybe by surface tension of their tiny wet surfaces in a non-liquid environment.
When they are packed side by side, they can move around as kind of banana shaped bunches of worms, which can squirm along the surface. At times they can even lift off into the air like a tentacle.
I have seen high densities of collected (almost microscopic) worms do this.

BillTre said:
I could not get the video to run.
That's because it's not a video, but a screenshot of one. Search for the image to get the video.

I followed links and links to links, but those videos didn't work for me (maybe I'm special!).

Looks like a mass of worms

Likes BillTre
phinds said:
Uh ... what is it that you think I just posted ? :smile:

EDIT: Ah ... I see. Yours has the facebook comments.
Oh my bad I thought that was just the original picture :D

phinds said:

Looks like a mass of worms

Now this works for me!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can't see the video, but it looks similar to videos of Tubifex worm colonies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubifex
Similar to Tubifex, but not Tubifex.

Tubifex:
- are very thin compared to their length
- are pointy at both ends and otherwise undistinguished head and tail
- move by extending and contracting - like an earthworm, only more pronounced
- are oxblood-red.

These critters seem to have a bulbous and distinctly white head, as well as being fairly thick. They also do not seem to extend/contract much as they move - more akin to caterpillars than worms.

I think they're aquatic larvae.

worm.jpg

Attachments

• worm.jpg
    worm.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Likes BillTre and jim mcnamara
OmCheeto said:
My one and only guess is: Fungus Gnat larvae.
OK, they've got my vote.

What is the "Mystery Creature" seen on the Facebook video?

The "Mystery Creature" seen on the Facebook video is a creature that has not been identified or classified by scientists yet. It is a newly discovered species that is causing curiosity and speculation among people.

Where was the "Mystery Creature" spotted?

The "Mystery Creature" was spotted in a specific location that is mentioned in the Facebook video or post. It could be a forest, lake, or any other natural habitat.

Is the "Mystery Creature" real or fake?

It is difficult to determine if the "Mystery Creature" shown in the Facebook video is real or fake without further evidence or analysis. It could potentially be a hoax or a misidentified known species.

What are some characteristics of the "Mystery Creature"?

Based on the Facebook video, some characteristics of the "Mystery Creature" could include its appearance, behavior, and habitat. These details can help scientists make an initial assessment and narrow down its possible classification.

What steps will scientists take to identify the "Mystery Creature"?

Scientists will closely analyze the Facebook video to gather information about the "Mystery Creature". They may also conduct field research and collect physical evidence to study and compare with known species. DNA analysis and other scientific techniques may also be used to identify the creature.