What is this diode symbol?

In summary, an unknown diode with a symbol that is not commonly used is being discussed. It is being suggested that it might be a variation of a Zener diode, but that is not confirmed. Neither of the two people discussing the diode know of any equations associated with it.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I have looked in all my textbooks but i can't find anything about this diode or what it does?
Here is the symbol of that diode (from a City & Guilds past exam paper):
[URL]http://img5.immage.de/2204diode.jpg[/URL]

Homework Equations

It's just an unknown diode symbol to me, and there are no equations that i know of associated with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first look, it appears to be a Zener diode, but it might not be, unless it's an old version of the Zener diode??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zener diode with (threshold??) voltage of 2V
i.e. anything over 2v is aloud to pass back through

sharks said:

Homework Statement

I have looked in all my textbooks but i can't find anything about this diode or what it does?
Here is the symbol of that diode (from a City & Guilds past exam paper):
[URL]http://img5.immage.de/2204diode.jpg[/URL]

Homework Equations

It's just an unknown diode symbol to me, and there are no equations that i know of associated with it.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first look, it appears to be a Zener diode, but it might not be, unless it's an old version of the Zener diode??

As Mardoxx says, it looks to be a variation of a Zener diode symbol:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...i=g1&aql=&oq=zener+diode+sym&gs_rfai=&start=0

It's not commonly used, though, at least not in the US. Here, a Zener symbol generally has angled tips to the cathode line, with an angled tip on both sides. A Schottky diode generally has two right-angle tips to the Cathode line. So having a single right-angle tip on the cathode line is unusual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both of you. Your help is much appreciated. :)

The diode symbol shown in the image is actually a standard symbol for a diode, specifically a rectifier diode. A rectifier diode is a type of diode that allows current to flow in only one direction, and is commonly used in electronics to convert AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current). It is possible that your textbooks may refer to this symbol as a "standard diode" or "rectifier diode".

It is also important to note that there are multiple variations of diode symbols, depending on the type of diode and its specific characteristics. For example, a Zener diode, which you mentioned, has a slightly different symbol that includes a zigzag line. So, it is always important to refer to the specific type of diode when interpreting its symbol.

I would suggest doing some more research on diodes and their symbols to better understand the differences between them. You can also consult with your teacher or a fellow student for further clarification.

1. What is the purpose of the diode symbol?

The diode symbol represents a semiconductor device that allows electrical current to flow in one direction only. It is used in electronic circuits to regulate the direction of current flow and prevent damage to other components.

2. How do you identify a diode symbol?

The diode symbol typically consists of a triangle pointing in the direction of current flow, with a line attached to one side of the triangle. The line represents the anode (positive) side of the diode, while the triangle represents the cathode (negative) side.

3. What is the difference between a diode symbol and a LED symbol?

The diode symbol and LED (light-emitting diode) symbol are similar, but the LED symbol often includes two arrows pointing away from the triangle to indicate the emission of light. Additionally, the LED symbol may have a longer line attached to the anode to represent the longer leg of the LED.

4. Why is the diode symbol important in circuit design?

The diode symbol is important in circuit design because it allows engineers to easily identify and place diodes in a circuit. It also helps to ensure that the diode is correctly oriented to regulate current flow and prevent damage to other components.

5. Can the diode symbol be used to represent any type of diode?

Yes, the diode symbol can be used to represent different types of diodes, including standard, Zener, Schottky, and tunnel diodes. However, some specialized diodes may have unique symbols to differentiate them from standard diodes.