What is the name of this expanding circle effect in physics?

• Thread starter viciam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of a rapid expansion followed by a gradual slowing down, and searching for a term to describe this phenomenon. Suggestions include exponential decay, related rates, and the law of diminishing returns. The conversation also touches on the application of this concept in finance and the use of visuals and physics to explain it.
viciam
Hi guys,

I am not a physicist or a mathematician but I have a question relating to physics. I am trying to find a simple word to describe an effect so I can research it a bit more. As it stands at the moment, I don't know what to search for in Google.

Imaging a small circle, and then it begins to expands rapidly. But the bigger it gets the slower its growth is.

In physics, what is this called? Please keep it simple as I said I am not a physicist.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Growth of what? Surface area of the disk? Length of the circle? Curvature?

Likes 1 person
hmm I don't know.

An exploding star maybe. It explodes and rapidly expands outwards and then the expansion slows down as it gets larger and farther out. Is that a good way to describe what I am after?

Or you have a balloon being filled with helium and the gas going in remains constant. It begins to inflate fast and then slows down as it gets bigger?

I'm not looking for a specific object. Just a general term to describe this sort of rapid expansion and then slow down

Hmmm. There's nothing to describe it. It's best explained mathematically as the relationship between volume and radius for a sphere.

We typically know that the volume of a sphere, V = 4πR3/3

So,

R = 3√(3V/4π)

Which looks something like this

CubeRootReal.gif

As you can see, the radius increases at a lesser rate as the volume gets higher.There's no special name for that, other than it being a cubic relation between volume and radius.

I know you were talking of a more general example, but it's all the same kind of idea.

The only alternative is when you consider something that expands to a certain point but then slows down such that it never actually exceeds that point, but it also never stops getting closer and closer to that point. This is called 'asymptotic' and it looks a bit like this (note that the blue line will never cross the red line, no matter how far you go along the x-axis):

http://ajillgalloway.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/paperless-asymptote-286x300.png

However an expanding balloon/star/object/whatever is not asymptotic, it is the cubic relation I already mentioned, which goes on forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Are you referring to something like exponential decay?

Likes 1 person
viciam said:
Hi guys,

I am not a physicist or a mathematician but I have a question relating to physics. I am trying to find a simple word to describe an effect so I can research it a bit more. As it stands at the moment, I don't know what to search for in Google.

Imaging a small circle, and then it begins to expands rapidly. But the bigger it gets the slower its growth is.

In physics, what is this called? Please keep it simple as I said I am not a physicist.

Thanks in advance

What is the origin of this, i.e. where did you get the idea that such a behavior exists AND has a unique name given to it?

Zz.

Likes 1 person
I think exponential decay might be what I am looking for.

In what natural occurrences could exponential decay be seen in?

viciam said:
I think exponential decay might be what I am looking for.

Really? It doesn't fit at all with what you originally described. The rate of decay uniformly slows down, instead of doing that non-monotonic change you illustrated.

In what natural occurrences could exponential decay be seen in?

Radioactive decay.

Zz.

viciam said:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

This is a nebulous ill defined phenomenon we have here. What makes you think there would be a specific name for that?

The topic that seems to be invoked here is that of Related Rates.

As the radius increase, the relative rate of growth of its area decrease.
Let A[r] = Pi r^2 be the area function of a circle of radius r.

Let A'[r] be its derivative.

I am referering to the function

A'[r] / A[r] which is monotonically decreasing. Perhaps it is what is being searched.

Best Wishes,

DaTario

Last edited:
I'm basically writing a report on finance. To be precise it's to do with growth of a company.

In the beginning a company can grow faster, but once the company reaches a very large position in its industry, the same growth rate cannot be maintained and hence the growth starts to slow down.

I am trying to describe this effect using visuals and physics hence the circle description. I'm probably way off but this is what I am trying to achieve.

viciam said:
I'm basically writing a report on finance. To be precise it's to do with growth of a company.

In the beginning a company can grow faster, but once the company reaches a very large position in its industry, the same growth rate cannot be maintained and hence the growth starts to slow down.

I am trying to describe this effect using visuals and physics hence the circle description. I'm probably way off but this is what I am trying to achieve.

One might call that the "law of diminishing returns"

viciam said:

It appears that this is more of a math question and has very little to no physics.

Zz.

Yeh but I need to use physics to describe it. Like an analogy

If you want to say it in a physicsy way, you could say that the rate of change of growth decays exponentially with time. I'm pretty sure that's what you're getting at!

The graph I showed a few posts ago visualises it quite well. Here it is again:

CubeRootReal.gif

I'm reasonably sure this is the point you're trying to make. The y-axis represents the size of the 'thing' (company, balloon, whatever), and the x-axis could be considered as time. Clearly as time goes on, the growth of the company slows.

You can further visualise it with this:

34il26s.jpg

, where the y-axis is 'growth rate' and the x-axis is time. Again you can see the growth rate decays exponentially with time.

I could explain it in a more mathsy way if needs be. It kind of depends on what you know of basic calculus though.

There's no single word for it, other than to say that the growth rate slows with time, which is surely enough? If you're just looking for a big word to score points with, you won't have any luck!

Likes 1 person
It can be also related to scaling. Say, if volume grows linearly with time, radius grows as a cube root of time.

viciam said:
Yeh but I need to use physics to describe it. Like an analogy

That's a bit odd. Usually, when people do an analogy, it has to be something familiar. Physics is usually the one where we explain IT using other things as an analogy. You are doing it the opposite way, trying to explain something in finance using a... physics example? Is this wise? Are you trying to explain finance to a bunch of physicists?

Zz.

viciam said:

That would be asymptotic growth. A company may grow rapidly from 1% to 80% market share and then continue to grow indefinitely without ever achieving 100% market share.

ZapperZ said:
That's a bit odd. Usually, when people do an analogy, it has to be something familiar. Physics is usually the one where we explain IT using other things as an analogy. You are doing it the opposite way, trying to explain something in finance using a... physics example? Is this wise? Are you trying to explain finance to a bunch of physicists?

Zz.

It's a mental visualisation exercise. Using an animation to show the growth of a company. I wanted to use an animation of an exploding star or something similar to show how a company grows rapidly and then growth or expansion slows down once it reaches a certain large enough point.

SA1988 thank you for that, I think that is what I am looking for. But rather than having an exponential growth shown on a chart like that, I want to use like an animation of some kind, such as a circle growing rapidly and then slowing down as it gets larger

I owe you one! Thank you so much

1. What is the scientific definition of an effect?

An effect is a phenomenon that occurs as a result of a cause or action, and can be observed and measured using scientific methods.

2. What is the difference between an effect and a side effect?

An effect is the intended outcome of a specific cause or action, while a side effect is an unintended or secondary result of the same cause or action.

3. What is the importance of studying and understanding effects in science?

Studying and understanding effects in science allows us to better understand the natural world and how different factors and variables interact with each other. This knowledge is essential for making predictions, developing new technologies, and solving complex problems.

4. Can an effect have multiple causes?

Yes, it is possible for an effect to have multiple causes. This is known as a multifactorial effect, where multiple factors or variables contribute to the observed outcome.

5. How do scientists determine if a cause and effect relationship exists?

Scientists use various methods, such as experiments, observations, and statistical analyses, to determine if a cause and effect relationship exists between two variables. This involves controlling for other factors, establishing a temporal relationship, and repeating the study to ensure the results are consistent.