1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this effect called?

  1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    When I spun a dry bearing or even toy car in high rpm it can suddenly vibe and slow down while making grinding noise... sudden loss of spin. I suppose this is because the bearing is rather loose and then vibe (like pulsing vibe) thus slowing it down. What does this vibe effect called? This can happen in basically anything that has dry bearing or spool.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I think it's called "Rotor Whirl", "Dry Whirl" or "Dry whip". Something like that.
  4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    Maybe "chatter."

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook