What is the name of this equation?

• Thread starter Goethe10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an equation with the possible answers being derivatives of it. The equation is not special and can be differentiated to get the answer. The differentials "dy" and "dx" are used in the equation and can be rewritten.
Goethe10
Hello everybody, What is this equation called? I'm from non-English speaking country and I need to look up materials about how to solve it, Thank you.
1ake7HP.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello Goethe10! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Goethe10 said:
y = 3 + 2x3

(why have you written a "d" there? :confused:)

This is an ordinary equation,

and the four possible answers are dervatives of it,

except that instead of writing dy/dx = f(x), they've written them dy = f(x)dx :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hello Goethe10! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(why have you written a "d" there? :confused:)

This is an ordinary equation,

and the four possible answers are dervatives of it,

except that instead of writing dy/dx = f(x), they've written them dy = f(x)dx :wink:

Haha, sorry.
It was just smudge done by paint tool, not an actual D, sorry about confusion :P
What do you mean "ordinary equation" Can you please give me the full name? Thanks.

Goethe10 said:
What do you mean "ordinary equation" Can you please give me the full name? Thanks.

i mean it's just an equation, there's nothing special about, there's nothing to look up! :smile:

(just differentiate it!)

Ah, I see! :D Thank you
So
3+2x^3 would be
6x^2
Can you please tell me what does "dy" means?

Goethe10 said:
So
3+2x^3 would be
6x^2

correct! :smile:
Can you please tell me what does "dy" means?

if you'd written the equations in full, you would have written:

y = 3+2x3

So dy/dx = 6x2

The "dy" and "dx" in "dy = 6x2dx" are called differentials (or infinitesimal differentials).

You can always rewrite any dy/dx equation so that the dy and dx are on opposite sides …

look that up in almost any book on calculus :wink:

Thank you! :)

1. What is the name of this equation?

The name of the equation is dependent on its specific form and purpose. Equations can be named after the scientist who first discovered or developed them, or based on their function and variables involved.

2. How do you determine the name of an equation?

The name of an equation is determined by analyzing its structure, function, and variables. A thorough understanding of the equation's purpose and its relationship to other equations can also help in determining its name.

3. Are there different types of equations?

Yes, there are many different types of equations used in various fields of science and mathematics. Some common types include linear equations, quadratic equations, and differential equations.

4. Can an equation have more than one name?

Yes, an equation can have multiple names depending on its context and usage. For example, the same equation may be known by different names in physics, chemistry, and engineering.

5. Why are equations named after scientists?

Equations are often named after scientists as a way to honor their contributions and discoveries in the field. It also helps to differentiate between similar equations and gives credit to the original creator of the equation.