Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this fiddely bit?

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I recently bought this pocket charger for my phone.
    Simple device, power in, power out.
    But it has this extra bit whose purpose I cannot figure out.

Ideas?
    recharger.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Maybe it was used to power itself for testing?

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3

Borg

Gold Member

My guess would be that you can use a USB connection from your computer to charge your phone instead of the regular charger. The other possibility is that you could charge a second phone.

5. Feb 15, 2015 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How? There's one power in and one power out.

How?
    The slot in which it fits will not take a miniUSB connector. It's too small.

With a factory power connector? Could be, yeah.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. Feb 15, 2015 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, with a more careful look in better light, I can see way down into the slot that is exposed when I take the slug out.

There are at least two copper terminals inside the hole that are in a position where a long thin connector could make contact. So, it must be a factory reset/configuration port way down there.

7. Feb 15, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

My y post was meant to be humorous but it is curious that the rubbery connector can plug into one end and that maybe there was a second adapter which they didn't give you but instead gave you this dummy plug.

8. Feb 15, 2015 #7

Borg

Gold Member

Couldn't tell the size from the picture other than it looked like a USB shape.

9. Feb 15, 2015 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I see. I hadnt thought that there could be accessories I don't know about.

10. Feb 15, 2015 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh I see, you mean could you plug a male mini-USB into that slot? No. It is both too narrow and too deep. (Hard to tell that the slot is almost a cm deep. It is as deep as the plastic slug is long.)

11. Feb 15, 2015 #10

jedishrfu

Also the plastic side of the dummy plug looks like a connector from my old dumb cell phone.

12. Feb 15, 2015 #11

jedishrfu

Here's a photot I found of common plugs

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-in-1-Multifunction-USB-charging-cable-splitter-adapter-cell-phone-universal-charger-adapter-plug-charging/1121355240.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  13. Feb 15, 2015 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A very close look reveals two wire pins that are certainly mounted directly to the circuit board.
    I may not know whether they're for configuration or for power, but I'm satisfied that I understand the purpose of the plastic fiddely bit.
    It is simply a lid for this port.

slot.jpg

14. Feb 15, 2015 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

One of the first things I tried to do was see if the power out would reach the power in. :wink:
    It does not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook