Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this format ?

1. No, it should be free

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Oh no ! Not another poll...

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Other (please explain) / Don't care / Feeling asleep

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Jul 6, 2007 #1
    Hey guys,

I would appreciate your opinions on the following (to me, very annoying) issue.

Some people above me in the administration of this place keep sending me emails, with documents I must read, in a format I do not want to use. You probably understand, or even are familiar with this. I mean, there is one format which is defined as being "portable document format" which everyone can use without ever having bad surprises, or "unexpected features".

Then later today, as I was searching for official public information our governements must provide to us the people, bang once again a proprietary format which I cannot read without buying an expensive software, which I do not trust anyway... This really not fair. It does not really matter what exactly this was I was searching on the web (I was trying to figure out how they spend the money I give them for taxes :biggrin: I guess they spend it buying bugged software :tongue2:) but the principle revolts me.

Is there not an official way to complain about that, not going to legual action ? What do you think ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you can complain, but I doubt it will do much good. What format are you talking about? You can get free, open-source viewers for pretty much any format in existence.

- Warren

4. Jul 6, 2007 #3
    I have installed them. However
    • those kind of documents are insanly huge for the content they have
    • the document I tried to open earlier would not open with the version I have

5. Jul 6, 2007 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could probably just call them and have them send you the documents via mail, or fax.

- Warren

6. Jul 6, 2007 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

humanino, have you tried this database for searches?

http://www.osti.gov/energycitations/

7. Jul 6, 2007 #6
    Indeed that would work. But what I need is a good old ASCII table, which I can play with how I like. If I get this information printed, I will have to copy collumns of budget figures... in the end, I would actually give up :cry:

I will update my free software, hopefully that will do.

8. Jul 6, 2007 #7
    I did not know this. Thank you very much for this great link :smile:

But what I am looking at right now is not scientific, is the way the french governement spends my money :surprised I had an argument with a friend of mine, and I thought it would be good to actually look at it with numbers instead of just disagreeing on the basis of opinions :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?