What are these rusty metal pieces in my staircase walls?

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the walls of the staircase in the flat have not been properly painted and due to water seepage and dampness, parts of the plaster have swollen up and revealed rusted iron rods or twisted wires inside. These are visible on all four walls of the staircase but not inside the house and are further away from any beams or columns, according to a civil engineer. It is suggested that they could be wall ties used to hold two walls together, but it is not certain as the walls are made of bricks and concrete. The building is approximately 13 years old and it is unclear if the rusted iron is related to earthquake protection.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
First, I am not an engineer, nor am I formally studying the subject. So, please pardon my ignorance.

I recently found these in the walls of the staircase in our flat:

20190309_215727.jpg

The walls of the staircase had not been painted properly by the builder. Due to water seepage and damp, parts of the plaster have absorbed water and swollen up. When I hit them slightly, they broke off, revealing the material inside.

The question is, what are these? Inside the cement, there is some kind of iron rod or twisted wires, that is rusted. They are barely 3mm inside.

My father is a civil engineer. He inspected and said that since these were further away from any beam or column, they would not harm the structural integrity of the building. But he is not sure about what they are.

These are not electric wires, because wires won't go like that. Neither are these parts of beams or columns. But they are visible on all the four walls of the staircase to the terrace: swelling up, breaking on hitting, with rusted iron inside. But these are visible only on the staircase walls - not inside our house.

Anyone has any idea what these are?

If it is related to earthquake protection, then I can say with 99.99% surety that our flat hasn't been built keeping earthquakes in mind (Kolkata is in Zone III according to this).

Attachments

• 20190309_215727.jpg
    20190309_215727.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 910
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are the walls plaster, or are they sheet rock (wallboard)? If the latter, then these look like staples that hold the sheet rock to the beams underneath. If they are plaster, then these are probably the iron netting that was applied to support the plaster. Are they regularly or irregularly spaced? In either case, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just apply patch to these and re-paint. It looks like mainly surface rust.

Likes davenn
phyzguy said:
Are the walls plaster, or are they sheet rock (wallboard)? If the latter, then these look like staples that hold the sheet rock to the beams underneath. If they are plaster, then these are probably the iron netting that was applied to support the plaster. Are they regularly or irregularly spaced? In either case, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just apply patch to these and re-paint. It looks like mainly surface rust.
Um, it's regular wall plaster. There's no sheet rock. Bricks laid with concrete, plastered and painted. And they are irregularly spaced.

Actually it's not about worrying; I am interested in knowing what these are. If the walls are made of bricks and concrete, why should it have iron? Am I missing something?

Is this a new or old building?
What is behind the staircase wall(s)? ie a wooden framing - probably not.
Or is the brick wall a structural load bearing wall,

I was thinking that what you see is a 'wall tie' that is used to hold two walls together, one at least being masonry,

If structural, then a tie for a veneer of brick that was never built and plastered over with the ties cut off rather sloppily,
Galvanized ties eventually rust in damp environments.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik Basu said:
Um, it's regular wall plaster. There's no sheet rock. Bricks laid with concrete, plastered and painted. And they are irregularly spaced.

Actually it's not about worrying; I am interested in knowing what these are. If the walls are made of bricks and concrete, why should it have iron? Am I missing something?

Here in the US, a metal mesh is often applied to the wall to help hold the plaster in place, like in the attached photo. I don't know if that is the case in your house or not. If it is, you could be seeing the metal mesh, or staples that hold the metal mesh to the underlying bricks.

plaster-mesh-expanded-wall-plaster-mesh-diamond-metal-lath-wpm-plaster-wall-wire-mesh.jpg

Attachments

• plaster-mesh-expanded-wall-plaster-mesh-diamond-metal-lath-wpm-plaster-wall-wire-mesh.jpg
    plaster-mesh-expanded-wall-plaster-mesh-diamond-metal-lath-wpm-plaster-wall-wire-mesh.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 876
256bits said:
Is this a new or old building?
We are living here for 12 years, so it's not more than 13 years old.
jim mcnamara said:
I think @256bits is correct. It probably is one of these:
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Wall_ties
Could be. Since I haven't seen the walls being built, it could be one of those.
phyzguy said:
Here in the US, a metal mesh is often applied to the wall to help hold the plaster in place, like in the attached photo. I don't know if that is the case in your house or not. If it is, you could be seeing the metal mesh, or staples that hold the metal mesh to the underlying bricks.
I haven't seen that being done anywhere here, so I guess that's not the case.

1. What are these rusty metal pieces in my staircase walls?

These rusty metal pieces are likely to be metal reinforcement bars, also known as rebar, which are commonly used in construction to add strength and stability to concrete structures.

2. Why are there rusty metal pieces in my staircase walls?

The presence of rusty metal pieces in your staircase walls could be due to a variety of reasons, such as exposure to moisture, lack of proper ventilation, or poor quality of materials used during construction.

3. Are these rusty metal pieces dangerous?

While rusty metal pieces may not pose an immediate threat, they could potentially weaken the structural integrity of your staircase walls over time. It is best to have them inspected and repaired by a professional to prevent any potential hazards.

4. How can I prevent rusty metal pieces in my staircase walls?

To prevent the formation of rusty metal pieces in your staircase walls, it is important to ensure proper ventilation and moisture control. Regular maintenance and inspection of your staircase walls can also help identify and address any potential issues before they become bigger problems.

5. Can I remove these rusty metal pieces from my staircase walls?

Removing rusty metal pieces from your staircase walls can be a complex and potentially dangerous task. It is best to consult a professional who has the necessary tools and expertise to safely remove them without causing any damage to your staircase walls.