Identifying a Lizard in Southern Ontario, Canada

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, during a conversation in Southern Ontario Canada, it was mentioned that a lizard was caught on a wall by the speaker's son. The lizard was described as being 2" long, translucent pink with a brown/pink striped tail and pads on its toes. The speaker suspects it is a juvenile and believes it may be a five-lined skink, which is the only native lizard in Ontario. However, someone else suggested it may be a Mediterranean gecko, which is an invasive species in the area. The speaker further noted that Mediterranean geckos are commonly kept as pets and can be found along the east coast of the United States.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
My son just caught a lizard on the wall where he works. We are in Southern Ontario Canada.

It's about 2" long, translucent pink, with a brown/pink striped tail. It has pads for toes.

I strongly suspect it is a juvenile.

The only lizard I could find that's native to Ontario is the five-lined skink.

It looks a lot like the pic below (although that is a Mediterranean gecko):

I will post an actual pic as soon as my phone deigns to finish sending it.

Any takers?

(NOT ACTUAL PIC)
turkish-gecko-mediterranean-gecko-hemidactylus-turcicus-juvenile-on-CNT1EY.jpg

Attachments

• turkish-gecko-mediterranean-gecko-hemidactylus-turcicus-juvenile-on-CNT1EY.jpg
    turkish-gecko-mediterranean-gecko-hemidactylus-turcicus-juvenile-on-CNT1EY.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 654
Biology news on Phys.org
Holy heck. What's a Mediterranean Gecko doing in an office building in S. Ontario?

DSC_0307.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0307.JPG
    DSC_0307.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 654
Ah. They are actually found along the east coast.

Mediterranean-Gecko-Range.jpg

Attachments

• Mediterranean-Gecko-Range.jpg
    Mediterranean-Gecko-Range.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 614
They are all over my yard in Houston, and eat the 2" cockroaches that live in the flower beds so they are much welcomed

Likes Drakkith
They're common in coastal Alabama and the Florida panhandle. One of my cats catches them regularly. They tend to hang out on walls near a light at night and eat insects. When it gets cold, I see a few in the garage.

Likes DaveC426913
I'm a ways from Alabama. :)

Likes ChemAir

1. How can I tell if a lizard is native to Southern Ontario, Canada?

One way to identify a lizard in Southern Ontario is to research the native species in the area. Some common species found in this region include the five-lined skink, eastern fence lizard, and northern prairie skink. You can also look for specific physical characteristics, such as coloration and size, that are unique to lizards in this region.

2. Are there any non-native or invasive lizard species in Southern Ontario?

Yes, there are several non-native or invasive lizard species that have been recorded in Southern Ontario. These include the Mediterranean house gecko, European wall lizard, and common wall lizard. It is important to report any sightings of these species to local wildlife authorities to prevent potential negative impacts on the native ecosystem.

3. How do I distinguish a lizard from other similar reptiles in the area?

Lizards can be distinguished from other similar reptiles, such as snakes and salamanders, by their physical characteristics. Lizards have scaly skin, four legs, and external ear openings, while snakes have smooth skin, no legs, and no external ear openings. Salamanders have moist, smooth skin and no external ear openings. Additionally, lizards typically have a slender body and long tail, while salamanders have a stout body and short tail.

4. What is the best way to safely observe a lizard in its natural habitat?

The best way to safely observe a lizard in its natural habitat is to maintain a safe distance and avoid disturbing the animal. Lizards can easily be scared off or injured if they feel threatened. It is also important to not handle or try to catch a lizard, as this can cause stress and potentially harm the animal.

5. Are there any potential dangers or risks associated with encountering a lizard in Southern Ontario?

In general, lizards pose no threat to humans and are not venomous. However, some lizards may bite if they feel threatened, which can cause minor injuries. It is important to respect their space and observe from a safe distance. If you are bitten by a lizard, wash the area with soap and water and seek medical attention if necessary.

Back