Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this molecule called?

  1. Sep 16, 2010 #1
    I've studied a little organic chemistry but I couldn't figure it out. I've never seen it before but I'm sure it's simple to name, yet I couldn't find anything on Google.

  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2010 #2
    poly-cyclic carbon molecules linked by a single carbon are colled "Spiro" molecules, they're named as a single chain with the 'spiro' prefix, and the number of carbons in each ring in brackets (besides the linking carbon, which is called the 'spirocarbon').

    The molecule above is therefore called spiro[4.4]nonane

    Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiro_compound this explains it.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    Thank you very much, that was bugging me for some time.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook