What is the Probability of Non-Overlapping Coins on a Rectangular Carpet?

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two different probability problems involving dropping objects onto a surface without overlap. The first problem, known as Buffon's Needle Problem, asks about the probability of a needle landing on a line, while the second problem asks about the probability of coins not overlapping on a rectangular carpet. Although the one-dimensional version of the second problem has been solved, the two-dimensional problem remains unsolved. Ideas are discussed, including a simpler approach involving calculating the distance between all pairs of points, but it is unclear if there is a missing factor that makes the problem unsolvable.
Physics_wiz
I remmeber reading before in a probability book that this is an unsolved problem (I don't know if it still is or not):

Given a rectangular carpet with dimensions m x n, find the probability that a coin with radius r will fall on the carpet without touching another coin that's already on the carpet (number of coins on the carpet would have to be known I guess).

Physics news on Phys.org
It reminded me about the Buffon's Needle Problem: "Buffon's needle problem asks to find the probability that a needle of length l will land on a line, given a floor with equally spaced parallel lines a distance d apart. The problem was first posed by the French naturalist Buffon Eric Weisstein's World of Biography in 1733 (Buffon 1733, pp. 43-45), and reproduced with solution by Buffon in 1777 (Buffon 1777, pp. 100-104)." (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BuffonsNeedleProblem.html) .

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the book where I read that problem. Here's what the problem is:

"We have a rectangular carpet and an indefinete supply of perfect pennies. What is the probability that if we drop the pennies on the carpet at random no two of them will overlap?"

The book says this one hasn't been solved yet, but gives the answer to the one dimensional problem: "Drop n needles of length h on a stick of length b at random. What's the probability that no two needles overlap?"

The answer is [(b-nh)/(b-h)]^n if b>=nh or 0 if b<nh

Any ideas about the first problem? I was thinking: if the one dimensional answer is given, then why not replace each penny by a cross and find the probability that the vertical line will have the same y coordinate as another vertical line then find the probability that the horizontal line will have the same x coordinate as another then multiply them together?

Physics_wiz said:
Any ideas about the first problem? I was thinking: if the one dimensional answer is given, then why not replace each penny by a cross and find the probability that the vertical line will have the same y coordinate as another vertical line then find the probability that the horizontal line will have the same x coordinate as another then multiply them together?

A different, simpler approach may be this:
- replace all coins with the center of the coin
- find the distance D_ij between all pairs of n points, so i:1 to n, j:1 to n, but j not equal to i
- what is the probability that all D_ij>2r (no overlaps)

It seems to me that this should be a solvable problem, if I integrate like the approach to Buffon's Needle.

Is there some feature I am missing that makes it unsolvable?

kfmfe04 said:
A different, simpler approach may be this:
- replace all coins with the center of the coin
- find the distance D_ij between all pairs of n points, so i:1 to n, j:1 to n, but j not equal to i
- what is the probability that all D_ij>2r (no overlaps)

It seems to me that this should be a solvable problem, if I integrate like the approach to Buffon's Needle.

Is there some feature I am missing that makes it unsolvable?

I don't know but I think at some point you need to calculate every possible arrangement of n coins on the surface available that satisfies your conditions. Of course, the problem doesn't specify how big the carpet is or how small the coins are. Therefore, choose a very small carpet and very big coins. (Actually you want to calculate the probability that coins will be in contact and subtract that from one. Also, the probability is always conditional on the state of the event space at time t(i)).

Last edited:

What is this problem called?

This is a very common question in the scientific community. There are many different problems that can arise in science, and they all have different names and solutions. Some of the most frequently asked questions about "What is this problem called?" include:

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting research and solving problems in the scientific community. It involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to draw conclusions. This method helps scientists to ensure their research is objective, reliable, and reproducible.

2. What is a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon or an educated guess about the relationship between variables. It is an essential part of the scientific method and serves as a starting point for further investigation and experimentation. A hypothesis should be testable and falsifiable, meaning it can be proven wrong through evidence.

3. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation is a statistical relationship between two variables, meaning they tend to change together. Causation, on the other hand, is a direct cause-and-effect relationship between two variables, meaning one variable directly affects the other. It is important for scientists to distinguish between correlation and causation in research to avoid making false conclusions.

4. What is peer review?

Peer review is a process in which experts in a particular field evaluate and provide feedback on a scientific study or research paper before it is published. This helps to ensure the quality and validity of scientific research by allowing other scientists to critique and improve the work before it is shared with the public.

5. What is the difference between a theory and a law?

In science, a theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon. It is based on multiple lines of evidence and has been extensively tested and validated. A law, on the other hand, is a descriptive statement that explains an observed pattern or behavior in nature. It is typically a more general and simplified version of a theory and does not explain why something happens, but rather describes what happens.