1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this relation called?

  1. Mar 26, 2007 #1

    f is the no. of degrees of freedom.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I think it is called the equipartition theorem.
  4. Mar 26, 2007 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Yes, the equipartition theorem is stated thus

    'the average kinetic energy per degree of freedom is 1/2kT'
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook