Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this setup called?

1. Jan 19, 2016 #1

TT0

What is this setup called?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hydrogen generator.

4. Jan 19, 2016 #3

TT0

I can't seem to find hydrogen generator on wikipedia or other chemistry sites. Could you direct me to a link or tell me how it works?

5. Jan 19, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Actually this is more complicated, hydrogen generator is just a part of the setup, and I doubt this particular setup has any particular name.

Can you try to guess what are reactions taking place in the flask, in the tube with CuO sample and in the drying tubes?

6. Jan 19, 2016 #5

TT0

In the flask:
    Zn + 2HCl -> ZnCl2 + H2

In the drying tube:
    I am not sure - maybe something to do with the water vapour?

In the CuO sample:
    H2 + CuO -> Cu + H2O

7. Jan 19, 2016 #6

Borek

Yes, water is captured by CaCl2 as hydration water. And (that's one of the most important things in this experiment) mass of CaCl2 changes. You can easily check by how much it changed, you can also easily check by how much mass of CuO changed during reduction. That gives a nice starting point for many stoichiometry experiments.

8. Jan 19, 2016 #7

TT0

I can't think of any equations for hydration of CaCl2, could you give me some hints? Or does it create one of these things: CaCl2.H2O?

So are you saying that this setup is good to calculate the amount of H2 and H2O? Also what does the second drying tube

9. Jan 20, 2016 #8

Borek

Yes, there are several hydrates with different numbers of hydration waters, CaCl2⋅2H2O, CaCl2⋅2H4O and CaCl2⋅6H2O.

Hydrogen? No. But you can easily check how much oxygen was lost from the CuO and how much water was produced in this process.

Its mass change during the experiment - why?

10. Jan 20, 2016 #9

TT0

I didn't finished typing it seems. What I meant was what does the second drying tube do? Does it just collect water from the Cu reduction process?

11. Jan 21, 2016 #10

Borek

Yes, that's exactly what it does.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook