1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this structure?

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1
    what is this structure??

Can anyone help in the identification of this chemical / pharmaceutical structure, tIA....

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2
    Re: what is this structure??

What are you asking for? The name of the structure?

4. Jan 4, 2009 #3

well, either the drug name (if you know it) or the chemical name (like C18 H21 N3 O5 etc)
    I can't figure it out! Thanks

5. Jan 4, 2009 #4

The chemical formula you have provided is correct for the number of C's, N's, and O's, but the number of H's is wrong (it is not 21). I don't want to give the name directly because this smells like a homework question...but I can confirm if you have the right formula when you get there.

6. Jan 4, 2009 #5

thks anyway, i've figured it out it's bambuterol!! so the H=29??

7. Jan 4, 2009 #6

Correct :wink:

8. Jan 4, 2009 #7

tbh got the answer on another forum, but how do you work out the no of hydrogens, got abit confused, it's been a while since i studied this stuff!!!

9. Jan 4, 2009 #8

Make sure there are 4 bonds attached to each carbon. If there aren't 4 bonds attached to a carbon then "add hydrogens" to that carbon until it has 4 bonds.

10. Jan 4, 2009 #9

oh yeah, now it's all coming back to me. Thanks again for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?